AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a real negative piece of reality while trying to shop for a plasma for my largest client, and at least where I live it is all encompassing. Runco as many know used to carry only a EDTV model which was 852 x 480 and did only 480p, at a price higher then any of the other 720p regular HD sets. It has superior black but never really sold for those 2 reasons, and now of the 6 dealers that carry Runco, the 4 I contacted don't have the new HD Runco which weighs in at 10,000 for the 42 inch, nor do they appear to be getting them possibly ever.

The dealers bought these with the understanding that they could return any unsold if an HD one came out and they wouldn't sell when they ordered, and that was how they got dealers to buy 2k more and no HD, and get behind them, but now that they haven't sold, the caviat of taking them back has disappeared, so the dealers have no choice but to drop Runco. This is hilarious because can you imagine the quality of dealer that they will have now with their much higher price, slow inventory supply, and as most in the know already are aware scaler that gets out of sink when the wind blows, and takes 30 minutes for a trained person to resync and an hour for a casual one. I wanted my client to look at this set, but it sounds like there will be no more Runco in my major city, but given the reason, who wants to do business with the unethical anyway.

As I suspected my client did appreciate the far superior analog quality of the Fujitsu over the Pioneer Elite, Mitsubishi, new Loewe and Sharp, as I expected, and has now taken a secondary interest in the Dyne Audio speakers in the showroom as well. They are the anti B&W when it comes to bass with even their smallest speakers having more bass then anything other then the 802 nad 1, the 2 that have bass. I was also surprised how well the Fujitsu EDTV at 480p did, and it actually was better then some of the HDTV's in depth of field, but at only 1500 less then the HDTV model, I would still go that way if I got a bedroom plasma.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
Yep. That would explain this:

My local Runco dealer is S-T-U-C-K with a 42" ED plasma that retails here in Canada for around $25,000 ! ! !

(Remember us poor Canadians and our dollar).

Of course anyone can now buy a similar plasma here, like the Panny, for $7 - $8K.

The Runco dealer by his own admission simply cannot move that insanely overpriced piece of inventory, and is no doubt taking a bath.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.