AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to how the Runco 50C plasma compares to the latest 50 inch units from Pioneer, Fujitsu and Panasonic. I am aware that the Runco cost about $5-7K more than these models.

Thanks

Rich

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The Runco 50 is based on an NEC 50MP1 panel, with a Runco scaler bundled with it (hence the additional cost).

I'm not quite sure what, if anything, Runco does to the plasma's electronics, but the scaler sure makes the picture look good. However, in the various plasma reviews that have been done, the Fujitsu, Pioneer and Panasonic latest-generation models have fared slightly better. I've seen both a Runco 50 and 61 and they look very nice, but I've not seen them side-by-side against the other late model 50's.

My personal opinion, worth what you pay for it, is that you can do essentially the same by purchasing the plasma panel you like the best and matching it with a scaler you like, and with the discounts available on the Net for these components, you can achieve the same or better performance for less $$.

Cheers

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joel,

thanks for your reply. For some reason, I thought the Runco was based on a Pioneer display.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.