AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I have never seen this or any other 3-chip DLP, but my understanding is that they look very good. However, I don't see how a projector with 350:1 contrast and XGA can be worth $65k. You could pay a professional to build you a fancy home theater with a JVC DILA, anamorphic lens, HTPC, etc.,etc. and still have money left over. The JVC would give you twice the resolution for $10k.

I have seen Runco's "cheaper" DLPs and I think they are a rip off. My LP350 cost a fraction of what they and performs noticeably better.

Perhaps you should do a search in the forum for "3 chip DLP". Also, check out projectorcentral.com. Digital Projection makes a 3 chipper for ONLY $35k, which also out performs the Runco. Probably nobody else has answered you because they are envious that you can afford a a projector that costs more than most people make in a year... I know I am!

Good luck!

------------------

Christopher Young

Seattle, WA

[This message has been edited by chris5977 (edited 07-19-2001).]

·
Registered
835 Posts
The Runco does not look bad and it does come with a scaler. I believe it is an OEM of a Digital Projection 3-chip, so one could go that route. I didn't notice an increase in contrast over what I've seen from the Digital Projection machines (admittedly in sub-optimal environments). The contrast is not bad and probably makes 400:1 (that's better than most consumer projectors, despite what the "specs" might say). Unless you need those extra lumens a G20 will do pretty well for the ~$20k on EBay.

I think the Runco 1-chip DLP's are Davis OEM's, so I don't know if you can even buy them anymore...

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
89 Posts
I saw the VX-5 recently and although not worth the price uncalibrated it was impressive. If you can pick one up cheap then it probably would be a good deal but I emailed that guy on Ebay and he didn't reply back to me.

------------------
Only in America.....Don King

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, I did get a chance to see the new runco vx-1cx, and thought it looked pretty good, just was wondering about the vx-3c. Maybe not 17k but it did look alot better than the vx-1c.

I am basically pretty confused on what I can get for 20k thats good.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
The 3x is a Christy.

The unit on ebay does not come with a lens. Add another $3500 to 6k if it takes the bayonet style lens.

You will soon be able to get the 1280x1024 3 chip Christy for under 30k.

You can currently get the NEC xt5000 that it twice the machine for 25k.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.