AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to buy the new JVC X9 3D projector. So while I was at my dealer he told me he has a 2 year old RUNCO VX22D with an anamorphic lens for the same price as the JVC new with Anamorphic lens. I will be using a 140" screen and I can not decide between the two. I wanted 3D but doing research 3D appears to not work very well on a large screen due to lack of sufficient brightness. The Runco will have the full 2 year warranty plus a new bulb. ANy comments would be apprecaited.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
You're correct, there's no way the JVC will provide enough lumens in 3D mode to fill a 140" screen.

Other than that, you're talking about the differences between a DILA and 3DLP machine, which can be quite significant both objectively and subjectively. I'd highly recommend viewing both using demo material you're familiar with before making a decision. Overall the JVC will offer significantly better contrast, however it will probably be lumen-shy for your desired screen size (depending on the light control of your viewing environment and your screen's gain). The Runco can't touch the JVC in terms of contrast, but will probably be sharper and will definitely have no problem lighting up a larger screen.

What kind of price is your dealer offering on both packages? Either you're getting a bad deal on the JVC or a really sweet deal on the Runco.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are both the same price. The Runco was 60,000 new. So the JVC with an anamorphic lens with motorized sled is the same price as the Runco with a motorized sled so you can figure it out. It is an amazing deal. But the contrast is a problem as you point out along with the black level. The technology has really improved over the last 2 years. However the Runco picture is extrememly sharp and colorful and bright. So I am having a tough decision

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnies /forum/post/19573500

I will be using a 140" screen ...

Is that a 2.35:1 screen?

If you do decide to get the Runco maybe you should get an X3 or RS40 also and use it for 3D at a smaller size (like the 16:9 area on your screen if the screen is 2.35:1).

--Darin

·
Registered
611 Posts
If you are keen on 3D then you have your answer.

If you can look at each one then do so and pick the one that makes you smile.

If neither make you smile, take two aspirin and wait for CES.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I am going with a 2.35 screen. I really do not know which way to go. I will have to bring some movies to the dealer and see how the Runco looks in dark scenes since the contrast is not as good as the JVC but a hell of a lot brighter

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
It is a personal choice may perks to the Runco, but as stated pj have come a long way in 2 years and 3d, as well as, better black levels are the trade off. I have seen the Runco, but the JVC. A very good 3 chip picture. clean, crisp, great colors.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will let you know when I decide. It should be soon. Remeber the price is the same with an anamorphic lens. We are investigating screens for each projector. The new Stewarts 5D and the Dalite Joe Kane Model

1 - 10 of 10 Posts