AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get some advice / opinions from you guys. I have a high end theater install coming up and not sure which projector to use. I have been using runco in the past, but have and drifted away from them the last couple years due to the DLP / color wheel rainbow effect. I real like the JVC projectors that i have installed last year DLA-HD750, they are quite and have a great picture and no color wheel. Now that runco has a 3-chip DLP for >$20,000.00 it might be time to look at them again. Has any buddy seen one. Also has any one seen the DLA-HD990. I love the 2.35 aspect ratio and how runco does it, but this client will not be using it in that ratio. It will be used mostly to watch sports on a 1.77 screen that 110" diagonal screen. The room has no windows so no light problem.

Thanks for advice

·
Registered
917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereophonic Man /forum/post/18153280

I would like to get some advice / opinions from you guys. I have a high end theater install coming up and not sure which projector to use. I have been using runco in the past, but have and drifted away from them the last couple years due to the DLP / color wheel rainbow effect. I real like the JVC projectors that i have installed last year DLA-HD750, they are quite and have a great picture and no color wheel. Now that runco has a 3-chip DLP for >$20,000.00 it might be time to look at them again. Has any buddy seen one. Also has any one seen the DLA-HD990. I love the 2.35 aspect ratio and how runco does it, but this client will not be using it in that ratio. It will be used mostly to watch sports on a 1.77 screen that 110" diagonal screen. The room has no windows so no light problem.

Thanks for advice

if he is going to use it to watch sports, i would get the dlp unit. for movies the jvc

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
If your PJ needs to be under $20k, you would get better advice on the $3k+ forum as there will be owners there.

If it is a "high end" install, as you state, perhaps you have a PJ budget in mind. If you have over $20k to spend on a PJ, as you are posting here, I wouldn't choose either of those machines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your advice about posting on the 3K+ forum, i would like to get there opinion also because of the huge price difference. I was thinking if i cut back on the price of the projector i would spend more on the audio equipment but i don't want to sacrifice the picture. If I were to stay in the +20K range what projector would you recommend cold machine. It is a high end install looking at $85k for the theater equipment then there's the rest of the house. Thanks for your response.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osiris13 /forum/post/18154841

It terrifies me that you are servicing customers and doing installs at this price range and can't come to these sort of conclusions on your own.

I'm with ^^^^^^

Me budget of about $20k and up SIM2 or $10k down JVC. Sim2 Mico50 for that size screen if it were me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I really don't want to use runco unless it's really the way to go. I'm not crazy about the rep even though i'm leaning that way. I just wanted to see if there a better choice. Also not sure if there going to be around now that sam is gone and business is down they seem to have a lot of debt.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty N8 /forum/post/18155326

Me budget of about $20k and up SIM2 or $10k down JVC. Sim2 Mico50 for that size screen if it were me.

I agree.

Under $10k, the JVC is very hard to beat and you will probably have to spend over $20k to get better results.

I'm also wondering what the DPI M-Vision Cine LED looks like. I believe that these are going for under $20k.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
runco ls-5 (ie. planar 8150) or the new runco led at under $15k.

jvc rs35. many great choices.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.