AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just moved into a rental home that does not allow us to drill holes/make modifications to the walls. I am trying to run a 100ft long HDMI cable down 1 flight of stairs and across 2 rooms, connecting my computer to my HD TV. I can easily run the cables along the walls on the outside but that does not seem like a visually appealing idea. Are there any other ways that I could accomplish this?

I was looking into doing CAT5e HDMI connections but it seems the more cost-effective solutions require two CAT 5 connections, whereas my situation only has a single one.

Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
Is there any reason why you couldn't put the computer closer to your TV? Or buy a dedicated computer for your TV? I'm not sure of the cost involved with running 100 ft of HDMI, but I can't imagine it'll be cheap. The best single-wire solution would seem to be the following:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025507&p_id=9173&seq=1&format=2

But that is probably not enough length for you. What content are you trying to play from your PC? Buying a second PC or a Roku might be as cost-effective (or close) and would present less problems. This may not work for you for other reasons -- what other factors are at play here?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashman  /t/1469613/running-100ft-hdmi-in-rental-house-cant-make-holes#post_23236189

Is there any reason why you couldn't put the computer closer to your TV? Or buy a dedicated computer for your TV? I'm not sure of the cost involved with running 100 ft of HDMI, but I can't imagine it'll be cheap. The best single-wire solution would seem to be the following:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025507&p_id=9173&seq=1&format=2

But that is probably not enough length for you. What content are you trying to play from your PC? Buying a second PC or a Roku might be as cost-effective (or close) and would present less problems. This may not work for you for other reasons -- what other factors are at play here?

Basically we are using this computer as a personal workstation as well as a gaming PC -- previously, in our 1br apt, our bedroom/office was around a single wall from our living room, so we just ran a ~20ft HDMI cable along the floor/molding to connect them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand  /t/1469613/running-100ft-hdmi-in-rental-house-cant-make-holes#post_23239305

Do you require ‘just’ the HDMI signal over the CAT cable or are you also requiring control (IR/RS232) and or network access (10/100)?

Joe

Just the HDMI. Controlling the PC via a bluetooth controller already set up.

I can't get it over CAT, since the way the house is wired, it is not going to a central hub but instead a room in the house.

·
Registered
816 Posts
You'd definitely need to run it over cat5/6, 100' HDMI connection won't do anything, I don't even think they make those lengths for that very reason.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Really? What is this ? FWIW some folks have reported running 1080p60 at 100' with no problems in these forums. That said, a good extender using Cat 6 cable will be capable of handling higher bit rates if needed now or in the future. And there are other advantages to using Cat 6.

·
Registered
7,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh  /t/1469613/running-100ft-hdmi-in-rental-house-cant-make-holes#post_23239995

I can't get it over CAT, since the way the house is wired, it is not going to a central hub but instead a room in the house.

HDMI over Cat-X extenders should not be confused with Ethernet. Cat-X cabling is just a piece of wire. We most often use it for delivering Ethernet to our computers so we can go online. But, when we are talking about HDMI extenders using Cat-X cabling, we don't plug those into a hub or anything else and in your specific case, we would be talking about you running a new piece of cat-x cabling between your computer and the TV. Cat-X cabling is thinner than HDMI by a long shot, and HD-Base-T extenders are far more reliable over long-haul runs than HDMI cables are.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8122&seq=1&format=2

Not inexpensive, but easy to remove and take with you when you move out, and the low profile of Cat-X cabling, and availability in a variety of colors means that you can install it far less obtrusively in your home (or along the outside).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts