AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick basic question...

I just took delivery of my new Samsung 58" Plasma display. It's setup and ready to go. The delivery guy said though that was this television I can't turn it on yet and I had to wait till my living room got back up to room temperature?!

I keep my room ~68-71 F. What it one day I turn my furnace off a bit and it dips down to 64 or so? Am I not allowed to turn it on then at risk of damaging it? wtf.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
231 Posts
delivery guy is incorrect, though not completely off-base. It's more that you shouldn't run the plasma in freezing or near-freezing temperatures, and if it has been in those conditions you should let it get back to room temp before running it. At 64f you're fine though

·
Registered
535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizual /forum/post/15466099

Quick basic question...

I just took delivery of my new Samsung 58" Plasma display. It's setup and ready to go. The delivery guy said though that was this television I can't turn it on yet and I had to wait till my living room got back up to room temperature?!

I keep my room ~68-71 F. What it one day I turn my furnace off a bit and it dips down to 64 or so? Am I not allowed to turn it on then at risk of damaging it? wtf.

Thanks in advance!

I believe he meant for your plasma to reach room temeprature....if the temperature the plasma was sitting in while being delivered was below freezing, then you will have to wait for the temeperature of the internal components to reach room temperature.

·
Registered
454 Posts

Quote:

Quick basic question...

Thanks in advance!

It probably got very cold during shipping. So all you need to do is let it sit in your house for a bit to get to room temp and then you're ready to go. If your temp goes up or down in your house that's not enough to worry about.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
One of the reasons for this is if your TV has been in a very cold/dry environment and then you bring it into a warm humid room condensate can occur thus creating a potential for electrical shorts. If you let it acclimate to room temp. all should be well.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Also turning it on will cause it to heat up rapidly, possibly causing the glass to crack. Just let it get up to room temperature then don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:

Quick basic question...

Not sure what you meant by the bold part above but presuming that he delivered the TV when the outside temperatures were near or below freezing then yes, you should let it get up to room temperature before turning it on.

Quote:

The operating ranges of most plasma TVs is 32F through 104F. In the winter my living room typically gets down to as low as 50F and when i get up i immediately turn on the plasma TV and the heater, get a cup of hot coffee and stand in front of the heater and watch the morning news. So far, neither of my plasmas have suffered any ill effects

·
Registered
535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/15467316

Not sure what you meant by the bold part above but presuming that he delivered the TV when the outside temperatures were near or below freezing then yes, you should let it get up to room temperature before turning it on.

The operating ranges of most plasma TVs is 32F through 104F. In the winter my living room typically gets down to as low as 50F and when i get up i immediately turn on the plasma TV and the heater, get a cup of hot coffee and stand in front of the heater and watch the morning news. So far, neither of my plasmas have suffered any ill effects

Right on!
very well said...

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/15467316

lol you're a brave man, the heater never goes below 67 in the winter here!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts