AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a receiver behind my TV/speakers in another room. It's in a house I'm renting. The hole was already there for this. Only problem is there's no power where the receiver is. I want to run power back through the wall where the TV is to the room where the receiver is.

The problem is that I can't fit any sort of extension cable through the hole in the wall. Is it safe to splice an extension cable? Are there any products that are made to do this? THanks.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,126 Posts
NO, YES

Installing a new outlet where the receiver sits is probably the best solution and if it matches the others in the house the landlord won't notice. Best solution is to get permission.

Based on the nature of your question it is probably best to call an electrician for this project.

·
Registered
265 Posts
No, extension cords are not meant to be run through walls, and splicing it is not a safe option (double bad).

Is there no outlet in that room? As it is a rental, would it really be that ugly or trip hazardous to just run an extension cord around the perimeter to where you want to go? I'm sure you could find a creative way to hide/disguise it. I know I've had to do just that more than once in places I've rented.

Best of luck,

Chris

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm with the other posters on this one. Although Ive done my share of "questionable" repairs in my time, I find I sleep better at night when I do the job right. Get a longer extension cord (the longer it is the heavier gauge it should be) and hide it in that stick-on plastic tracking you can find at a home center. You don't even have to stick it on, you could use sticky-tack.

·
Registered
263 Posts
or just run some romex through the wall to a box near the TV and splice it into the box you have power in. Running romex and installing a box is not hard.

use a new work box and do you homework

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,126 Posts
If you want to live on the edge, break building codes, endanger the life and safety of yourself and the other tenants. Go to HD, Grab a 3-4 ft length of electrical cord and replacement ends, one plug, one socket. Fish the cord through the hole in the wall. Then attach the cord ends after the cord is in place.

·
Registered
151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 /forum/post/16998500

Sounds like a job for POWER BRIDGE!!!!
http://www.powerbridgesolution.com/

If the OP was qualified to install the powerbridge, (remember he's renting, and therefor needs to be licensed and insured, not to mention under contract with the owner), he would not have posted this thread in the first place, and would merely have cut in and fished an additional duplex, which of course is all that is really needed anyway.

rob

·
Registered
4,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbec /forum/post/16999284

If the OP was qualified to install the powerbridge, (remember he's renting, and therefor needs to be licensed and insured, not to mention under contract with the owner), he would not have posted this thread in the first place, and would merely have cut in and fished an additional duplex, which of course is all that is really needed anyway.

rob

I understand that, but it is perhaps more difficult for one to cut in and fish an additional duplex. With the power bridge he can do as Big suggested above but make it code. He wouldn't have to fish all the way over to another outlet or junction box or electrical panel. Not that difficult to do the power bridge, if he can do the replacement ends he can do the power bridge.

·
Registered
151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 /forum/post/16999689

I understand that, but it is perhaps more difficult for one to cut in and fish an additional duplex. With the power bridge he can do as Big suggested above but make it code. He wouldn't have to fish all the way over to another outlet or junction box or electrical panel. Not that difficult to do the power bridge, if he can do the replacement ends he can do the power bridge.

While I understand that your idea does make it easier for someone, who has no right to be touching electrical at all, to accomplish his goal (and in a more safe and professional LOOKING manner), I maintain that perhaps we shouldn't be providing information which facilitates breaking the law.

There are 2 scenarios in which it would be ok for him to execute your idea:

1) He owns the home (nope)

2) He is a licensed, insured contractor working under contract with the property owner. (no again)

His work will not be evaluated by the AHJ (which for any home owning DIYer would be a safety net of making certain their work was done properly and safely.)

Oh... AND IT'S NOT HIS HOUSE. He has no right to make substantive changes to someone else's property w/o their expressed permission. I'm not a legal professional, but come on.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

rob

·
Registered
4,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgeneral /forum/post/16997394

The hole was already there for this. Only problem is there's no power where the receiver is. I want to run power back through the wall where the TV is to the room where the receiver is.

The problem is that I can't fit any sort of extension cable through the hole in the wall. Is it safe to splice an extension cable? Are there any products that are made to do this? THanks.

Hmmm, let me see. The op stated that there already was a hole in the area that he wishes to do something which is completely illegal and outside of building and electrical codes. This being a pre-existing condition the landlord must be aware of this or simply doesn't care about it. In this instance if the op is at all handy and simply able to follow some simple instructions he would be able to improve the current situation for himself and the landlord.

Sorry if you find this out of the ordinary but if you/we were to always follow the the rules it would mean that every time I wanted to replace an outlet or a switch in my own home I would have to go to my town hall and pull a permit. Ain't gonna happen.

Other posters were telling him to fish an electrical wire to another outlet which IMO would be more invasive and perhaps more risky. I was simply trying to offer a solution that any DIY'er can easily accomplish.

All this information is readily available with a simple search, pointing him in the right direction is why we frequent this forum.

·
Registered
545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 /forum/post/16997801

or just run some romex through the wall to a box near the TV and splice it into the box you have power in. Running romex and installing a box is not hard.

use a new work box and do you homework

That's too funny not to respond....

You must have missed the part about romex not being rated for surface mounting in occupied areas when you did your homework right...?

I'm picturing the romex running down the wall and slipping underneath the recepticle cover, forced between the recepticle and it's enclosure, and being held in place with some bubble gum...lol.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghot /forum/post/17003246

That's too funny not to respond....

You must have missed the part about romex not being rated for surface mounting in occupied areas when you did your homework right...?

I'm picturing the romex running down the wall and slipping underneath the recepticle cover, forced between the recepticle and it's enclosure, and being held in place with some bubble gum...lol.

I think the point was that the romex was INSIDE the wall, as was the box. Easy to do, if you know what you're doing, and there's not a lot to know.

·
Registered
545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen /forum/post/17003931

I think the point was that the romex was INSIDE the wall, as was the box. Easy to do, if you know what you're doing, and there's not a lot to know.

Did you read the OP's first post...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgeneral /forum/post/16997394

The problem is that I can't fit any sort of extension cable through the hole in the wall.

I'm willing to wager that the hole is less than an inche in diameter. How do you think this random box/romex/fed from another random box, installation will be done in a matter that's even remotely close to code, without opening up the wall in his rental unit?

Sure a retro fit box could be cut into one end of this hole cleanly, but you'd still have manage feeding that recepticle power. Not to mention at this point you'll be jumping into the realm of a permanent solution, in which far greater care should be applied to the work being done.

Maybe there's more to know than you realize...?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.