AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved overseas, and working to set up my U.S.-based home theater in Bujumbura, Burundi. So far, I've run into a couple of problems relating to power.

I had 2 power conditioners (APC H10 and Belkin) that were rated at 120v @50/60hz which I plugged into a transformer running at [email protected], and each of them blew capacitors (with lots of popping and smoke). I still don't understand why these blew, and might try to solder in some new capacitors to see if I can fix them...

I've ordered a 5000W 110/120/220/240 voltage regulator in hopes that it might be better able to handle the huge power fluctuations here in Burundi. My generator kicks in frequently, sometimes running 10 hours a day!

In reviewing my home theater equipment, most of it is rated for 50/60hz, but my Rotel RMB-1075 is rated at 60hz specifically. I'm not sure that I'll be able to convert the frequency of the current to 60hz. If anyone has any thoughts on whether plugging it in to a [email protected] power source would cause damage or performance issues, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations on how to best configure a US-based home theater in a [email protected] environment, it would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FYI, Rotel support answered my question, in case it helps anyone else.

Thank you for purchasing Rotel! As long as the input voltage can be reduced to 120V you should have no issues running the RMB-1075 overseas. The 50Hz/60Hz cycle is not a concern for performance as the RMB-1075 converts the AC into DC in the unit which makes the frequency difference negligible.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.