AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to open my ceiling for another purpose, and decided that it might be a good time to run cables for a DLP projector. Not having chose a projector yet, but having chose a screen size, is it foolish of me to pre-wire for the unknown projector. I was planning on running some BNC to BNC cable from estimated ceiling mount area to my rack, a serial cable for RS232 control, and either an electrical outlet to the ceiling, or some flexible conduit, through which I will essentially run a long electrical cord from the projector to a surge protector (although this solution seems something of a fire hazard).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hermann

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track. I am in the middle of a high end install for my cousin, so I have a little experience. You might want to run two 2-conductor 18ga wires up there as well, if you need to take advantage of the 12 trigger and/or use an IR repeater on the projector. Definitely a power outlet (although the other solution is fine too), A RGBHV cable with or without BNC connectors (who knows what your equipment will have), and possibly s-video and video cables as well if you don't use a source with RGBHV output(such as a scaler or HTPC). Use the best you can afford. It's up there permanently. And keep in mind that the throw distance can vary by several feet for different projectors with the same image size.

[This message has been edited by shahram72 (edited 08-03-2001).]

·
Registered
70 Posts
As shahram72 said, one big concern would be that different projectors might need different ceiling locations for the same screen size. You can choose a location based on a "typical" projector, and then just vary the screen size to what the projector can handle from that location. Just be aware that you may not be able to get exactly the size of screen you want, if you pick a mount location before knowing what your projector is.

If it were me, I’d over-estimate the distance from the screen for your ceiling mount/cable location. It will look better if you have cables dangling behind the projector on the ceiling, instead of in front of it.

Don't run an extension cord inside your ceiling. I think that's an electrical code violation. Use Romex or full conduit wiring to a J-box outlet in the ceiling.

If you're planning on watching pay-per-view HDTV movies, or recording HDTV on a PVR, then you may want to include digital cable in your setup. Check out the threads running in the HDTV Hardware forum here, for more information. We may be seeing new projectors soon with digital interfaces.

While the ceiling is open, you may want to run some audio wires for side surrounds or back channel speakers. I used 14 ga. wire in my new setup, which I think is the THX recommendation for home wiring on surrounds.

Good luck with your setup!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think this has been asked before but how do you handle adding a power conditioner to the projector? Well, I guess the first question is have you found that a power conditioner for a projector is necessary?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.