AVS Forum banner
  • Take part in a short activity and share your valuable opinion on new design concepts for AVSForum! >>> Click Here
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Running Cables/Wires Through Wall

2942 Views 14 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  fooit
Hi I need to run some power cords, an HDMI cable, and some speaker cables through my wall.

What are the issues with running such cables through the wall? Would it violate fire codes?

And do I need specialized cables to do this?

Thanks guys.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

HDMI (through the wall) requires a Category 2 Cable. No difference from a Cat 1, except the Fire Rating.

I highly recommend that you use the largest conductor(s) you can find. The standard wire gauge is applicable, with the smaller number, being the bigger wire.

You might try looking at:
www.bluejeanscable.com or

just as a start, but, there are several other companies which can provide you with long lengths.

As far as your Electrical Distribution, standard "Romex" is rated for in the wall, and given the length of the run, will determine the size you need. I use a 12/2 wG, as a minimum, regardless of the requirement.

Same thing with the Audio Cable, and both (Sound/HDMI) well separated from the Electrical Power wires.

Have a good Day !
See less See more
I did an internet search on Romex and it seems very expensive, like $300 for 3 feet. Am I looking at the wrong kind of romex wire?
You can get Romex at your local Home Depot or Lowes or other builder's supply or electrical supply company.

Originally Posted by caunyd /forum/post/0

I did an internet search on Romex and it seems very expensive, like $300 for 3 feet. Am I looking at the wrong kind of romex wire?

Yes, you're looking at the wrong wire. You can get 50 feet of Romex for about $30.


You definitely were looking at the wrong Romex!

ALSO !, I just did a 220 volt run for a A/C and had 3 conductor in my mind!

If you're just doing a 15 or 20 amp circuit for your A/V stuff, you will only need a two (2) conductor wire, with ground, sorry for the error !

This is simple 2 conductor wire with ground, comes in boxes of 25', 50' & 100', or you can buy it by the foot, bulk.

We're looking at a box of 25' for about $20 or less, and it really doesn't matter who made it, all have to come under the NEC/NBS Regs, so if you can get some cheeper, do it !

I tried to logon to Home Depot, but, they sent me somewhere else, and, I don't know if you have that store in your city, you haven't said where you're from.

Just drop by any Hardware Store locally, and you'll see it's NOT expensive stuff.

Here's a little closer URL for Loes:

But that's for my zip code, so you'll have to enter yours to get a local price.

Also, you might check out my Post #36 at:

I talk about some Grounding issues, and type of Electrical Plugs to use.

Keep after it !

Have a good Day !
See less See more
What is the best way to run cables/wires through a wall that is already been built?

My 58px60u will be mounted on the wall and I need to run cables/wires and wires about 4 feet down to the receiver and dvd player. Thanks.

Umm, 4'. that's not much, for all the work that you could do. But it depends on just how you want it to look.

You could cut into the wall, behind your TV in a couple places, drop the wires down to close to the floor, come out and then into the STBs n Amp. To make that look good, you install Electrical Boxes and appropriate wall plates for the "F"/"RCA" connectors and Electrical Supply. OR

There is a "stick on" type "conduit". Can be Metal or Plastic, both work well.

Usually a flat rectangle with an adhesive back, that you strip off the protective strip on the back of it, stick/place it on the wall.

Cut to length and run your wires down into/thru it, and out the end, and then make the connections. Then just snap/close the cover on the strip, covering the wires. Use more than one, keeping your Electrical Supply away from the Signal Wires.

With a proper placement and color choice, these strips look like simple trim pieces on the wall, and are a LOT easier to install, than cutting in and back out of the wall.

The strips are available via your Hardware/Big Box stores, and you can run as many as you want down the wall. Two, three, whatever, just keep those signal wires away from the Electrical Power supply wires !

Given that it's just 4' that you're running, the Power Cord on your TV will probably reach, and you won't have to use the Romex, just plug it into a Power Strip behind your system.

Have a good Day !
See less See more
The flat plastic/metal "tubing" usually goes by the name "Wiremold". That's a brand name but any supply/hardware store will have something similar.
Thanks for the advice about the tubing. What about if I run the cables through the wall? Is there any way to fish the cables through the wall? And should the cables be in any kind of tubing as they're running down through the wall? Thanks.

Originally Posted by caunyd /forum/post/0

Thanks for the advice about the tubing. What about if I run the cables through the wall? Is there any way to fish the cables through the wall? And should the cables be in any kind of tubing as they're running down through the wall? Thanks.

Absolutely, make a shopping list first for Lowes or Home Depot (I did the following)

GB Electrical Incorporated Cable Snake 25' Steel Fish Tape: $15

Low Voltage Old Work electrical boxes

Drywall Saw

Indoor Romex 12ga 2 conductor with ground wire

Wall plates with ports for video/audio

Heavy Duty Electrical outlet

If your not going to install another electrical outlet behind the plasma, you'll need a large conduit to pass the power cable down inside the wall to exit where it can be plugged in ( I installed an HD outlet). Keep the electrical and signal lines separate - don't pass the electrical and HDMI down through the same box!
See less See more
Easiest to use the fiberglass fish poles from Greenlee if you have fairly straight runs through the wall. They are available at most hardware stores.
Before you get started cutting holes in walls, a couple of suggestions:

-You'll want to cut between the studs which run vertically behind the walls. Typically they are 16" on center apart. (Invest in a $10 stud finder).

-Not sure if this is typical, but at least in my house all of the inner walls seem to have a support stud that runs horizontally as bracing between the two studs. This is typically located at about 36-40" from the floor. If you have this, you'll need to either get a drill to make holes through the 2x4 to run the cabling...or you'll need to remove a full 16" wide piece of drywall between the studs to get access. Again...a stud finder will help you figure this out without have to poke holes in the wall.

-Although Leviton doesn't offer hdmi connections, they do offer 'quickport' connectors that snap into place for component, svideo and speaker wire connections. This will simplify the installation as you can run cat 5 wire or raw speaker wire through the walls (depending on the application) and will make the final look clean and professional. Leviton is available at Home Depot. Lowes sells an alternate brand as I recall.

-When using an electrical box for high voltage (electric) and low voltage wiring(speakers, etc) make sure they are either in separate electrical boxes OR that the sections of the electrical box are comparmentalized so that high voltage can't ever touch low voltage. This is a national code requirement.
See less See more

Last time I mentioned Wiremold at a Big Box store, the guy took me over to the Lawn & Garden area, and tried to sell me some Bactericide.

I'd rather just describe what I need, and keep the manufacturers names out of it !

Have a good Day !
See less See more
monoprice and Atlona sell HDMI wallplates online.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.