AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have a need to run RG6 coax cable from my basement to my second floor bedrooms. I ran it through the heating ducts. I get terrible reception on the TV's. It seems like I get the same cable TV reception whether I connect the cable or let the TV pull OTA stations in with no antenna hook up. When I do this, my main TV set's picture is affected with a slight to moderate ghost.

Is running RG6 coax cable thru my heating ducts causing the problem? Is there a fix? How else would I run the coax from the basement to the 2nd floor? Would going to an outside wall, up the exterior of my vinyl sided house and back in be a better solution? I can't get my steel fish up or down the cold air returns either, if that would be a better idea.

Any suggestions welcome.

John

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sounds like your rg6 is not delivering any signal at all? Checked all connections? Faulty splitter? Too many splits?

I don't think the ducts have anything to do with your problem, unless you shorted out the cable on a sharp bend or something.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
If RG6 is kinked by bending the internal "stinger" (positive) snaps and the wire is toast. In this case run a temp line of fresh RG6 to the same locations. If it rectifies the picture it is the cable. If no improvement, then check to verify the F-fittings are on correctly and no shield ground is touching the center conductor (stinger). If any wire is touching you get ghosting. Running any low, or high volt cable in HVAC is against code. It is more of a heat issue than interference issue. Most cable companies run coax on the side of the home to reach upper levels. You could stealth it behind a gutter, or paint it. Use a compression crimper:

http://www.icmcorp.net/CablePro_Compression_Tools.htm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.