Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am in the process of hooking up my system. Components in the closet, plasma on wall in family room. Plasma is about 25 feet away. Will running a component cable that far deteriorate the pic quality. Also, what other cables would you run for future add ons?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
25' should be fine for component. A good quality cable may make a difference. You could also make your own cables using RG6. Try to make sure you're not running next to power wires. HDMI and DVI may be a good choice for future cable use. I'm not sure of the limits for DVI and HDMI. I thought I read DVI was about 20'.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont want to open this can of worms, but Joe_M said a good quality cable may make a diff. Can you suggest one. I KNOW I KNOW, NOT MONSTER!!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You are not really going to get much improvement over RG-6 unless you invoke a Placebo factor. A bad cable would be one that is poorly shielded or that has very poor impedance control. That is not the case with decent RG-6 or even RG59. When you buy a custom cable you usually get nice colored boots on good connectors. In all honesty the performance is going to be the same as RG6 or RG59 especially over a length like 25 feet. One of the issues that people can run into when they are driving long cables is that the output stages in their STBs may not be able to drive long cables well. Most can but sometimes you run into that problem and it is necessary to add something like an Extron box to drive the long cable without loss.

..Doyle

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattinWashDC
I dont want to open this can of worms, but Joe_M said a good quality cable may make a diff. Can you suggest one. I KNOW I KNOW, NOT MONSTER!!!!

Thanks
Nothing wrong with Monster. It's just expensive.

Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.