AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving into a house with a partially finished basement and would like to convert one of the rooms into a theatre.

I am looking to do in wall installation of the speaker wire runs, but the drywall is already in place.

My thought was to remove X" of drywall and drill a hole through all the studs running conduit through, then putting new drywall up in place.

how much should I cut off the bottom? I know drywall is 4'x6', would it make sense to cut off 2' of drywall all the way around the bottom of the room?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Installing conduit during the construction phase of a room (pre-drywall) certainly makes future wiring changes/additions easier. But since the room is already drywalled, why are you considering the conduit installation? It might be easier at this point to run the wires along the bottom or the top of the wall, behind a baseboard or in a soffit.

But if you really want to put the conduit in, I'd just cut off enough drywall to get the drill in the wall - 6 inches maybe? I would try to locate the drywall patch/seam where it would be least noticeable, and maybe covered by trim or wall panels. I am not very good at drywall, so any time I try to patch in a new piece I find it tricky to match the texture of the existing wall.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, 6 inches may be enough.. I just need to run the blue flex conduit through the studs...

I wonder how i will get past a door frame though, may need to go up and over..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts