AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is sort of HTPC related so here goes. I was using wireless network to stream movies to my HTPC from my office PC which has 3TB worth of hdd. The wireless network wasn't fast enough and made the movies stutter something terrible. I have run a 50' ethernet cable from the PC to the routher @ the HTPC and now everything works flawlessly. Are there any special requirements for running ethernet cable inside the walls? I'm want to put in wall boxes and plates/jacks at both the pc and htpc side, run the cable up the wall, across the attic and back down.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Low voltage wiring doesn't require electrical boxes.

Most people will use a low voltage box , though, for a clean install.

Be careful not to make sharp bends, as this can lower the quality of the connection. You want to keep the wiring loose.

·
Registered
243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasminkar /forum/post/20899735

This is sort of HTPC related so here goes. I was using wireless network to stream movies to my HTPC from my office PC which has 3TB worth of hdd. The wireless network wasn't fast enough and made the movies stutter something terrible. I have run a 50' ethernet cable from the PC to the routher @ the HTPC and now everything works flawlessly. Are there any special requirements for running ethernet cable inside the walls? I'm want to put in wall boxes and plates/jacks at both the pc and htpc side, run the cable up the wall, across the attic and back down.

I prefer to at least use electrical boxes to make sure the wall plate is secure. I also prefer conduit, at least, in places where I would have to tear out drywall to make changing/adding wiring easier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts