AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

This is the fourth place that I have lived in with my projector/screen. I have the PJ and screen up, but I'm at a loss for how to effectively run the power and HDMI to the projector. I am renting this place, so I have to stick to my landlord's wishes.

The projector is about 12' from the front wall and 6' from the sides of the room. I intend to run the cable from the projector, straight to the right wall, down the wall, and then to the front of the room where the receiver is.

The room is finished, and in the basement. There is no way to access the inside of the ceiling, so running cables through the walls or in the ceiling is out.

The ceiling is done with a stipple surface. I cannot attach cables or channels directly to the ceiling, because I will damage the stipple and when the cables are removed, it will leave an obvious flat spot and look terrible.

My only idea so far is to get a cable channel, put the HDMI and power cables in it, and then screw the cable channel into the ceiling with very small screws but not screw it flush to the ceiling. I'd leave a small gap between the top of the channel and the ceiling. The majority of the ceiling would be untouched this way. When I move out, I can just fill the screw holes and it should not be noticeable.

Any better suggestions?

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
If you projector has lens shift put it on a free standing shelf and forget the ceiling.

If the projector has fixed offset put it on a table or build a covered podium and forget the ceiling. Use creative means to hid the wires at floor level.. carpet.. runners etc...

Also consider moving equipment to the back of the room closer to the projector.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes /forum/post/20884581

If you projector has lens shift put it on a free standing shelf and forget the ceiling.

If the projector has fixed offset put it on a table or build a covered podium and forget the ceiling. Use creative means to hid the wires at floor level.. carpet.. runners etc...

Also consider moving equipment to the back of the room closer to the projector.

The projector is a Mitsubishi HD1000u. It's really only usable on the ceiling.

The room is 24' long, and for my 96" screen, I need the projector around the 12' mark. It's dead center, so putting the equipment at the back wouldn't be any better. Total pain.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettmoore /forum/post/20884598

The projector is a Mitsubishi HD1000u. It's really only usable on the ceiling.

The room is 24' long, and for my 96" screen, I need the projector around the 12' mark. It's dead center, so putting the equipment at the back wouldn't be any better. Total pain.

Well yepper.. that's a problem.. I have the HC3000 and table mount it when I use it.. every night.. and a portable screen.. power and HDMI live under the couch and only come out at night. It's a pain but HT is a compromise for most of us.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I was going to say conduit also -might be able to use 1 1/4" PVC and then paint it with plastic paint to match the ceiling. You can then hunt around for pipe hangers that will allow you to screw a single screw into the ceiling (joist or use drywall plugs). A couple of straight lengths and a 90 degree should be all you need. The HDMI cable should be easy to run through the pipe and I would not bother with gluing the joints. As for the power cable, well, that's a bit more of a problem... Ideally, you don't want it running parallel to your signal cable but you're either going to have to try it and see if you get interference or run a second pipe with the power cable in it some distance from the signal cable. SInce it it not "in wall" and is temporary you might be able to get away with using an extension cord. Cut the plug off, (don't think it will fit in a 1 1/4" pipe) and then thread it. Then put a new plug on the end...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Can you attach things to the sidewalls? Just had a thought of using PVC conduit up the side wall and across to the projector. If

you secured it enough to the wall, you could get away with maybe some Velcro or double sided tape on the ceiling. Paint to match walls and ceiling.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Can you position the seating in front of or to the sides of the projector? How about a fake, decorative column in the middle of the room, such as those used for lally poles?

You could just attach the cables directly to the ceiling, using the conduit/pipe hangers.

Fancy, more attractive Clic pipe hanger

Instead of pipe hangers, you could use cable bridles.

Time for a new projector?

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
How about a wall mural to make the exposed cables 'blend in'?

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Thinking outside the box - how about installing a drop ceiling? And a false wall. Using small screws, of course.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Ask your landlord if you can upgrade his place by adding cables, power in the ceiling, and attractive cover plates. Seriously, he may like the idea. Selling point for next renter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.