AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a noob question for you.

I just purchased new receiver (Yamaha HTR-5960) to replace my old Sony "home theater in a box" system, it should be getting here tomorrow. Due to economic constraints I am unable to buy everything at once so I started with the receiver and hope to get speakers/sub around march once I get my tax refund.

My question is, are there any problems with running my new receiver with my old speakers and sub until i get some decent ones?

These speakers again, are the cheap Sony "HTIB" satellite speakers. I don't think the model matters but just for sake of illustration they are:

SS-MSP67L/R/SL/SR/SB, and SS-CNP67 (center)

I checked the owner's manual for the system and it says they are 70mm cone type with a Rated impedance of 6ohms.

The Sub is listed as model SA-WMSP87 200mm cone type, 155W (5 ohms,100Hz,THD 10%)

I know these are not good speakers or sub but right now it is all i have for the next couple of months. I just want to make sure of any precautions I should be aware of in using these with my new receiver. I was reading the manual online for the receiver and it says to make sure to change the Impedance setting to 6 ohms in the system if I am using 6 or 4 Ohm speakers....is that all i should do? Doesn't mention anything about the subwoofer so I guess I don't really need to do much about that other than run the YPAO to automatically configure the distance, etc...

Thanx!!

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Sure you will be fine so go ahead and play with your new toy Enjoy!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.