AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...

I'm currently running a 5.1 system with a Denon AVR-1910 amp. The speakers are from the Sony SS-K series, which, though little-known, are much better than your average Sony speaker--and I'm pretty happy with them.

The weak link in my system right now, I think, is the sub, a SA-WM500.

I'm considering replacing it with an Infinity PS212, which can be purchased for about $240 online--and appears to be a pretty good value.

But I've also seen SA-Wm500s very, very cheap. This sub has both a line input and output, making it easy to add another sub (although is this better done with a splitter?)

Any thoughts on the direction to go here? Is running two subs a greater improvement than running one modestly superior sub?

Thanks for any advice...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Don't buy the Infinity PS212 Sub. I had an Infinity PS12 myself loved it for about 3yrs then suddenly one day the amp started cutting on/off after about 30 mins of usage.

Of course it was only 2 months out of warranty, i contacted Infinity and they said sorry we don't make any parts for your subwoofer anymore. So basically I had to throw it in the trash.

I won't be buying Infinity products EVER again. My bookshelf speakers are all Infinity. I also have a 12" Kappa Subwoofer and an Infinity Reference Amp in my car. So kinda worries me having all these Infinity products around. I think their speakers are fine. But their electronics & amps are crap I'm finding.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. Is this the general consensus on Infinity subs? This sub seems to get very solid reviews online, though I did see one other account like yours.

Would most agree that the F12 is the better option?

·
Registered
183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcoffin /forum/post/16939341

Thanks for the advice. Is this the general consensus on Infinity subs? This sub seems to get very solid reviews online, though I did see one other account like yours.

Would most agree that the F12 is the better option?

Yah I thought they where great subwoofers until the damn thing died. I did a little searching on google and here. I found a TON of people that have the exact same problem. The amp dieing after 2-3 years of regular use. I'm not sure if they fixed it for the PS212 model, but I wouldn't risk it personally.

I haven't heard the BIC F12, the price is pretty good. There is a thread here about the sub, might want to read through it.

What is your maximum price you'd spend on a subwoofer?? I've heard a lot of people recommending the Elemental Design subwoofers for people on a budget. I heard the A2-300 at a friends house and it is an excellent sub, great bang for the buck!

A2-250 10" Sub - $325
A2-300 12" Sub - $350

Both of these are going to produce a lot lower/deeper bass over the Infinity or the BIC F12 sub. Of course these are about $150 over the Infinity, but well worth it if you ask me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts