AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm running about 50 feet of speaker wire through the wall and was curious what gauge I should use, the front 3 speakers are going to have a 50ft run each.

Processor = Anthem 50v

Amp = Mcintosh 7106 100w x 6 (Not Bridged)

Front = B&W 804S

Center = HTM3S

I looked around and found that 16 gauge will do the job just fine, but was curious what others think?

Thanks Eric

·
Registered
5,128 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Everything mentioned here is sound. Just make sure that if you do go with 12-gauge that the wiring isn't too thick for your speaker connections. Not familiar with your speakers.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
When speaker wire is installed in-wall does it terminate into some type of a wall socket ?

Or does it just come through a wall plate with a hole in it ?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint /forum/post/20879122

When speaker wire is installed in-wall does it terminate into some type of a wall socket ?

Or does it just come through a wall plate with a hole in it ?

I used these...

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
That should take care of any issues in regards to speaker terminals not being big enough to accept AWG12.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I use 14 for speakers and 12 for subs all inwall. I like the white covering so it helps to blend in with the walls. Also 14 guage is a little bit thinner and easier to move through walls and hide under molding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.