AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading an archived thread about running speaker wire under carpet, and the poster mentioned having his friend help him pull up the edge of the carpet. I figured it was just a matter of trying not to damage the baseboards and sneaking my LSDI Under Carpet Fish tool and feeding it thru.

Is there some art or science I am overlooking with regards on how to gain access to the space between my carpet and carpet pad?

·
Registered
742 Posts
The edge of the carpet is usually held in place with a tack strip:

http://www.halexcorp.com/carpet_tack_strip.shtml

The sharp points are angled towards the wall, so you would need to pull the carpet towards the wall to disengage the tacks. A carpet stretcher is used to reinstall the carpet (which you can rent), but you may be able to do it by hand if you only remove a short section. There are carpet stretching videos on YouTube.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was only going to pull up enough to run 2 flat wires under it, but I suppose I could rent a carpet stretcher if need be.

·
Registered
226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 /forum/post/18253769

Thanks. I was only going to pull up enough to run 2 flat wires under it, but I suppose I could rent a carpet stretcher if need be.

Bear in mind that even with "flat" speaker cable, there WILL be a raise in the carpet that WILL gather dirt/gunk (ie: show) and it WILL wear faster than the rest of the carpet.

·
Banned
802 Posts
Often times, there is enough space to push a speaker wire under the baseboard. Push far enough, and the wire "snaps" into place in between the carpet edge and wall. If you have to pull the carpet back, try not to pull it off the tack strip. Doing so may cause the carpet to eventually develop obnoxious ridges that then have to be stretched again. Use a pair of needle nose pliers and pull up the edge under the baseboard if necessary.

I just take a dull butter knife or paint scraper and wedge the wire under the board without moving the carpet at all. Not much point really.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts