AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i been thinking, dono if this would work or not and was hoping someone may ave tried it or know if it will or not. I just got my PJ installed and as a "temp" soloution i have the power cord dropping down from the PJ to the outlet because i have speaker wire running the same direction that the power would in the wall. could/would i be able to elimenate the humm i would possibly get from my speakers when i ran the wires together through the wall if i wrapped the speaker wire in one of these plastic "wire organizers" and the power in another? or would it just be easier to call and electrition, and have him install a power outlet right by the PJ?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Plastic won't help. It has no effect on electrical fields. Metal conduit is a different story.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Speaking of in wall power, does armored cable (metal sheathed/BX) provide any shielding?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
BX cable will help. Plastic won't. Also, try to keep the runs at least 16" apart, don't run parallel to the electrical, and if they must cross paths, try to do so at a 90 degree angle. All old news, but it's always worth repeating!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont hear a humm, but than again my wires arent through the ceiling yet...im just going on the basis of what iv read and heard from people

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HK43
Speakers are very low impedance.

Do you really have hum in your speakers due to the power cable?

If so, the speakers should hum with the amp off.

The current through that power cord would have to be in the hundreds of amps to induce anything into an 8 Ohm circuit.
I agree with this 100%. Also a speaker has no electrical gain so it can't amplify any hum field induced in the conductors.

Now a low level signal to an amplified sub woofer can pickup noise. Even if the amplified sub woofer is being fed by a speaker line. (some low end setups get the sub woofer feed off the main L&R speaker lines but this is not 5.1 compliant).

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Too true. I was probably lax in not including that information with the plastic/metal conduit differential. It's really the interconnects that need to be protected.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am faced with the same problem. I have speaker wire running near several power runs and there's not alot I can do about it.

I was curious about how much it affects it. Does anyone have an honest take on it out there.

For instance. Is speaker wire running along power lines and not running along power lines the difference between Home depot speaker wire and $1,000 speaker wire.

I think i can live with that.

·
Registered
149 Posts
In my family room I have rear surround speaker cable running with the power lines in the wall through all the same holes and I've never had any notable distortion. This is not to say you shouldn't follow the recommendations to keep power and speaker wires apart but if it's not practical then don't worry about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.