AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since the house is already finished, my only option is to do some drilling

, I think I'm pretty comfortable with running speaker up the wall by drilling one hole near where the speaker will be place and one by the baseboard molding, but I'm not sure how to run the wire along the wall to where it's suppose to be place.

maybe the diagram can explain a little better

Thanks!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Two options depending on if the wall is filled with insulation or not? If it is you will need a fish tape sold at your local home depot and fish it from the top hole down through the insulation and snag the tape at the bottom hole to tape the speaker wire to it and pull it back up. If the wall is empty you can use the same approach but with a string and a weight tied to the string. Like a nut,washers etc. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
173 Posts
OPPS,I guess you know how the fish thing works. You have a couple options and none are with out a little work. One way is to pull the trim off and notch the dry wall so the wire will tuck behind the trim when re installed.

Enother option is to notch out the drywall just above the trim at each stud and fish the wires between. If you are pulling multiple cables you will need to cut out a larger hole at each stud with a drywall saw so you have enough room to drill a 5/8 hole through the middle of each stud. Screw the piese of drywall back in,mud,texture and paint.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Now I'm not saying these are the only methods. If your dealing with carpet your option maybe to pull the carpet up and run under but if your dealing with tile this maybe your only option? Being an electrician for half my life these are the methods I use whether running speaker wire or adding an outlet farther down the wall. I also use this same method for adding recess lighting in the celings on the first floor of a two story house and so on.

Hope one works for you!:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the suggestions RXPorlando

yeah it's all hardwood floors, the trim option might require less work than drilling through each stud.

just so I understand this correctly, there is no gap between the stud and the dry wall correct? which is why I would need to drill through it?

·
Registered
205 Posts
There is no gap between the studs and drywall. The vertical is usually not a problem as much as the horizontal is.

The easiest with your hardwood floors (not super easy but doable) would be to get a larger base molding and cut a recess into the back of it to contain the wires then drill thru the drywall and fish thru like mentioned above for the verticle.

the other option would be to cut holes in the drywall and use an angle drill to drill in the center of the studs then patch it all up when done. Sounds fun huh? I hd to do just that when running my coax for my DTV vertically since I have cathederal ceilings and they had horizontal boards at 8 feet that were in the way. Luckily I have a little experience at patching drywall.

Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm about to run wire myself. I have an unfinished basement below, so I was going to drill through the floor and run the wire horizontally underneath the floor and then up through the wall which may be an option. If there is an attic above you may be able to pull the wire up through the wall into the attic and down the wall you need. Just a couple more options.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts