AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty much an AV newb, but my projector setup has been working pretty well. Now I want to add a Wii to the mix without running more cable across the room and I don't know if it's possible.

The pieces:

1. Optoma HD72 projector

2. Comcast cable box

3. Sony home theater in a box (DAVFX80) (I can't link to the sony manual cause I'm a newb, but it's the first Google result for: DAVFX80 manual)

4. Wii with component outs.

The cable box gives s-video to the projector and component audio + video to the Sony, and when I want to watch a DVD, i just move the S-video to the Sony. I know, I'm a terrible newb.

The sony has two component video in slots, HDMI & s-video out.

So, what I was wondering is this:

- Can i plug the Wii component video into the Sony and then run S-video out or HDMI to the projector and have it project? I can't seem to make this work.

- Can I use the Sony to do the same with the cable box, so I only have to have one input to the projector and never have to move cables?

Thanks for the help in advance. I'm an idiot about this stuff, and I can't seem to find any simple info about my Sony model.

· Registered
275 Posts
Dude, I hate to break it to ya, but you need a new receiver. I looked at your receiver online and you just don't have any connections. Most of the new receivers upconvert your signal to component, meaning if you plug in composite, or s-video, the receiver will convert it and output it to component. That's what you need. Then you can plug in any of your stuff and run one component out to the projector and switch sources with the receiver. Your system also has the speaker connections that are just for sony but I don't see why you couldn't cut them off and use the bare wires to another receiver. Other than that I don't see what else you could do. Check shoponkyo.com you can find a refurbished 504 there for a good price, also I saw a nice sherwood at CC the other day for $169. Maybe try the buy sell trade forum here and see if anyone is selling their old one, some of these guys upgrade stuff all the time. If you have the cash maybe spring for one of the Onkyo 790's and use the sony in another room or something. You can usually pick up the 790 with the 504 receiver, 7 speakers and a sub for $400, refurbed for maybe $325. The sony you have now just won't do what you want it to. Hope this helps you somewhat.

EDIT: just saw on another post a few guys picking up the 790 refurb for $289

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.