AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to the whole home theater deal. I just ordered a Onkyo HT-S590 HTiB. Is there any reason for running the video from the DVD to the HT-S590 and then to the TV? I am currently using component cables from the DVD to the tv and have the audio hooked to my sterio. What advantage if any is there to running the video to the A/V?

Thanks,

Chris.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
The receiver can act as an automatic switcher for audio and video, allowing you to go from watching cable/sat/whatever TV to DVD to any other A/V source, and back again with one button.

The alternative is a remote programmed with macros so it changes both the receiver and the TV inputs at the same time.

edit: Although if the TV works with the Onkyo remote, you can switch audio inputs on the receiver and use the special TV input button to switch the video source, which would be almost as fast.

·
Registered
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/0

The receiver can act as an automatic switcher for audio and video, allowing you to go from watching cable/sat/whatever TV to DVD to any other A/V source, and back again with one button.

I was wondering about this myself. Rather new to SRS and HTIB but if I understand you correctly, you're saying if I have an A/V receiver that has say 3 sets of component inputs and one set of component outputs, I could connect 3 separate A/V souces, i.e, DVD player, cable box and gaming console, and then run the component out to my HDTV. That would let me switch between the three with just changing the input on the reciever, thus eliminating having to change the source on the TV, correct?

What about if I have a DVD player that does upscaling via HDMI and my TV has one HDMI input, yet the A/V receiver doesn't have HDMI? What's the best way to hook that up? Should I run an HDMI cable from the DVD player directly to the TV then run a coaxil from the TV's S/PDIF out into the A/V receiver? Or should I connect the DVD player via component to the A/V receiver?

I also read that some Onkyo's also upconvert any other components connected by S-Video and composite connections. I'm not sure what this means. upconverts it to what?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetRoe /forum/post/0

That would let me switch between the three with just changing the input on the reciever, thus eliminating having to change the source on the TV, correct?

Correct. That's how I have mine.

Quote:

What about if I have a DVD player that does upscaling via HDMI and my TV has one HDMI input, yet the A/V receiver doesn't have HDMI? What's the best way to hook that up? Should I run an HDMI cable from the DVD player directly to the TV then run a coaxil from the TV's S/PDIF out into the A/V receiver? Or should I connect the DVD player via component to the A/V receiver?

If you have HDMI, take advantage of it. I would run direct from the DVD player to the TV, and digital audio to the receiver. If instant switching is important, buy a programmable remote.

Quote:
I also read that some Onkyo's also upconvert any other components connected by S-Video and composite connections. I'm not sure what this means. upconverts it to what?

That means it takes S-video and composite signals and separates the signal into the component parts (separate colors) and sends it through the component cable. It's a nice feature, but only some receivers have them (mine doesn't, and I wish it did.)

·
Registered
362 Posts

Quote:

If you have HDMI, take advantage of it. I would run direct from the DVD player to the TV, and digital audio to the receiver. If instant switching is important, buy a programmable remote.

I'm assuming you're referring to a programable remote that does macro's, correct? But them you would no longer be using the nice remote that come's included with the Onkyo receiver.

If you had yet to buy an Onkyo receiver and planned on connecting a DVD player via HDMI, wouldn't it make sense to get one of the Onkyo's that has 2 HDMI inputs and one HDMI output and run the DVD player through it? In other words, does that make sense, or does it seem like overkill to pay extra for a receiver that has HDMI inputs if all you plan to hook up is a DVD player via HDMI and your TV has a HDMI input?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:

I'm assuming you're referring to a programable remote that does macro's, correct? But them you would no longer be using the nice remote that come's included with the Onkyo receiver.

The Onkyo remote is very nice and does have a button that soley controls TV input (near the middle, right next to the TV on/off), so two buttons can switch components (one for audio, one for TV video input.) If I ever upgrade TVs, I'd probably use the Onkyo remote. A programmable one is just something to consider, especially if you have a whole mess of components the Onk remote can't control.

Quote:
If you had yet to buy an Onkyo receiver and planned on connecting a DVD player via HDMI, wouldn't it make sense to get one of the Onkyo's that has 2 HDMI inputs and one HDMI output and run the DVD player through it? In other words, does that make sense, or does it seem like overkill to pay extra for a receiver that has HDMI inputs if all you plan to hook up is a DVD player via HDMI and your TV has a HDMI input?

You can do it either way, depending on what you want to spend. Some people prefer directly connecting the TV to a source like a DVD player, and maintain it has better picture quality (presumably because it has less messing with the signal.)

I've never seen a difference, though.

·
Registered
362 Posts

Quote:

If you have HDMI, take advantage of it. I would run direct from the DVD player to the TV, and digital audio to the receiver.

I see, so even though the DVD player is running both video audio to the TV via HDMI you run a digital audio cable out of the DVD player into the receiver and wallah! you have true surround sound via 5.1 or 7.1 (depending on which type of system you have), correct?

What about when watching regular TV? The only other device we're planing on connecting to the receiver is a STB from comcast. Its not even an HD STB. Its quite small and just brings in digital channels and on-demand in SD. It connects to the cable from the wall and then connects to the TV via composite video. We're not planning on upgrading our cable service just to get an HD STB because the HDTV we're getting has a QAM tuner, From what I understand a QAM tuner will pull in all the HD channels.

So if we had one of the Onkyo receivers that upconverts any components connected by S-Video and composite connections, we could run the composite cables of the STB to the receiver and it would take the composite connections and separates the signal into the component parts (separate colors) and send it through the component cable. Then we would connect component cables out of the receiver back to the TV, correct? ( I think I'm starting to get this now
)

I'm just wondering if this upcoverting to component video helps the Audio quality or PQ when connected this way?

Quote:

It's a nice feature, but only some receivers have them (mine doesn't, and I wish it did.)

Which model do you own? What models do this component upcoverting? Or, to put it another way, based on the HDTV having one HDMI input and the two devices being connected (DVD w/HDMI and SD STB w/composite) which Onkyo SS receiver would you buy?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:

I see, so even though the DVD player is running both video audio to the TV via HDMI you run a digital audio cable out of the DVD player into the receiver and wallah! you have true surround sound via 5.1 or 7.1 (depending on which type of system you have), correct?

Well, it won't be true 7.1 unless you have a 7.1 source (like a Blu-Ray disc) and then you would have to use the analog inputs, or run HDMI through the receiver. But more or less, yes (if you do regular DVDs, they won't have 7.1 anyway, only 6.1 at the most.)

Quote:
What about when watching regular TV? The only other device we're planing on connecting to the receiver is a STB from comcast. Its not even an HD STB. Its quite small and just brings in digital channels and on-demand in SD. It connects to the cable from the wall and then connects to the TV via composite video. We're not planning on upgrading our cable service just to get an HD STB because the HDTV we're getting has a QAM tuner, From what I understand a QAM tuner will pull in all the HD channels.

Your STB might have a digital audio out. Mine does, a coaxial one, that uses an RCA plug that is orange. Like this. Some even have optical out.

You would run it to a corresponding digital in on the receiver, then adjust the settings on both to send and receive digital audio (it varies from component to component, so you have to read your manuals.)

Even then, only some broadcasts do any type of surround sound. On mine, I had to run regular RCA (red and white) cables to the receiver as well to get sound out of some channels, because they didn't output anything through the digital audio cable.

Quote:
So if we had one of the Onkyo receivers that upconverts any components connected by S-Video and composite connections, we could run the composite cables of the STB to the receiver and it would take the composite connections and separates the signal into the component parts (separate colors) and send it through the component cable. Then we would connect component cables out of the receiver back to the TV, correct? ( I think I'm starting to get this now
)

I'm just wondering if this upcoverting to component video helps the Audio quality or PQ when connected this way?

Yeah, that should be correct.

Quote:
Which model do you own? What models do this component upcoverting? Or, to put it another way, based on the HDTV having one HDMI input and the two devices being connected (DVD w/HDMI and SD STB w/composite) which Onkyo SS receiver would you buy?

I currently have the model TX-540 or something. Came with the HT-790 system, and I believe is a rebadge of the 504. I don't know specific models that do upconverting, I've only read about them generally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.