AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Running wire in the walls for HT..

462 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ninja6o4 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have to type this darn thing again because I didn't read the no URL posting rule.

Anyway, I am going to build a movie room in my new house and my first step is going to be to run speaker wire through the crawlspace and have banana plug connectors in the wall. My friend sent me a link to a discount store that has Recoton 50' 16 gauge wire for $6 CAD. I was wondering if this would be sufficient or what the max power/distance would be ideal for this size of wire. The room itself is about 22' x 14'.

Thanks!

#2 ·
16 AWG is pretty light. Go with 14 AWG, or better 12 AWG. Buy more than 50'. You'll be amazed at how much you actually use. 100' minimum.

#3 ·
Does anyone have any recommendations on preferred brand of wire or where to purchase it from? I'm guessing wire is basically the same across the majority of the average brands, so if anyone knows a good place to pick some up, that'd be great. I am in Canada btw.

I do know someone selling 14 gauge for .25 per foot, but I will look for 12s..

#4 ·
Lowes. Home Depot. RadioShack. Several online sites. $0.25 CDN / ft is a good price.

#6 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. Another idea I had (I dunno the validity of it), is if I ran 2 pairs of 16 gauge to each speaker, and tied them together to make 1 BIG pair to run into each speaker. Basically use 2 16 gauge instead of 1 for each speaker. Would this improve/make it worse the quality of the signal, or do nothing but waste my money for twice the cable?

#9 ·
go with the heavier gauge......

a few more dollars right now will insure that you have adequate gauge for any power that you might decide to run through those wires for whatever future speakers you might own.....

and if you look at the fact that the cost of these speaker wires can be spread out over the number of years it will be in the wall - it really becomes a no-brainer to buy 12 gauge wire.....

cheers!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.