AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched Rush Hour 3 last night on HBO via TWCNYC and it was the first time I ever saw 6.1 Surround Sound indicated on my receiver (aside from when I watch certain DVDs). I usually see Dolby Digital or DD displayed during 5.1 broadcasts.

Is this a Time Warner or an HBO thing?

Has this been going on for a while and I just never noticed or is this new? Regardless, I am happy to hear it and it is about time the rears got their own signal.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Hbo did broadcast it like that. I have seen some movies on Starz like this also. It is not really 6.1 however, it is matrix 5.1 EX.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA /forum/post/14196550

Hbo did broadcast it like that. I have seen some movies on Starz like this also. It is not really 6.1 however, it is matrix 5.1 EX.

Thanks for the reply. So basically, it is not a discrete channel? So my rear speakers were getting the same surround signal as if it were not EX 5.1-- a simulated 6th channel?

I will have to google this later?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
It did indeed show up as DD5.1 EX on my receiver.

Although this was through DirecTV. Though, like you, I've never noticed it before.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I capped rush hour 3. demuxed the audio. ran the AC3 file through mediainfo

here's the info :

Audio #0

Codec : AC3

Bit rate mode : CBR

Bit rate : 384 Kbps

Channel(s) : 6 channels

Channel positions : Front: L C R, Rear: L R, LFE

Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

It should actually say 7 channels because mediainfo counts the .1 as a channel but when i play it through powerdvd it doesn't say dolby digital like it normally does.

Edit : ok it's because I don't have powerdvd 6.1 which enables Dolby Digital Surround EX 6.1. I will upgrade and see if it can decode it

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Thanks to the original poster for the heads-up on this one. I had recorded Rush Hour 3 on a PPV a while back... but re-recorded it the other night after verifying that it did come through as 3/2.1 EX on my audio receiver.

Video quality on HBOHD was the same as my PPV recording but the sound was nicer with the extra channel... so I'm keeping this version archived.

I'll have to pay more attention in the future to see if anything else like this comes through since the Guide info never says stuff like 5.1, or 5.1 EX in this case, to alert me.

This is the first movie I've seen (aside from DVDs of course) that had more than 5.1 encoded audio. Cool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts