Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seen both of these recently.

What great films. Both story and characters keep you going, unlike most films, and the beat of them seems different.

Are there any more that someone could suggest in the same vein?

I suppose one that I can think of is Danny Darko.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Both are excellent. Rushmore is a long time favorite of mine, and I've watched too many times, and enjoy it immensely each time. I so emphathize with the main character. I can't think of anything right off hand that I would necessarily compare to Rushmore, though if you enjoy those two, you might want to check out "Permanent Midnight" or "Hurley Burley".

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Rushmore was directed by Wes Anderson, who also did Bottle Rocket (before) and The Royal Tenenbaums (after). I liked all three, but they have different flavors. Definitely all offbeat and interesting. TRT is very "New Yorker", which Igby was also, so you might like that.

The kid who starred in Rushmore was also in Spun, which is off the wall but not as good as the above (IMO).

Igby Goes Down was (apparently) directed by Burr Steers, first timer. I liked that one too. Claire Danes is underrated.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Interesting... I thought Rushmore was genius, but I didn't care much for Igby. I think Wes Anderson is a major talent. I do think Ghost World was a really good film. If you liked Rushmore I'd highly recommend Bottle Rocket.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh my, just watched WTTD, oh my.

I am not a fan of the hollywood happy ending, but throughout this film I hoped for one.

What a harsh film, my school days were tough at a british public school, but not on that level.

Wonder what the other ones on here will turn out to be like!!

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by simon
Oh my, just watched WTTD, oh my.

I am not a fan of the hollywood happy ending, but throughout this film I hoped for one.

What a harsh film, my school days were tough at a british public school, but not on that level.

Wonder what the other ones on here will turn out to be like!!
"Dollhouse" is waaaayy more harsh and cynical than the other titles mentioned, especially the Wes Anderson movies which are fairly warm and fuzzy. Tod Solondz alert- if you thought WTTD was rough don't go near his next film, "Happiness." That could qualify as the most ironic film title in history.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Yeah, I was going to comment before when Dean recommended this. I guess it has it's place, but as cynical as I've been I still can't relate to this one. Ghost World was right on, though, very moving IMO.

Other ones to check out: Heathers, Pump Up the Volume, The Chocolate War, Teen Wolf*... I know there are others but I'm blocked right now.

*just kidding. Stay the hell away from this one. But it's still a better call than Ghost Dog.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
The script in Heathers is priceless. Just typing it up there made me smile.

One exchange:

V "Bottled water has come a long way."

J "Yeah, but this is Ohio. If you don't have a brewskii in your hand you might as well be wearing a dress."

It's even funnier in context.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
*just kidding. Stay the hell away from this one. But it's still a better call than Ghost Dog.
Ghost Dog is great, man. It's JJ's most accessible film probably, which is still to say that it's way out of the mainstream. But it's quite good I think, very quirky and has that funny/sad vibe that I like a lot.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are in the same league in that they are not the normal sort of films to be made. And they manage to stay funny for their duration (what a bonus!)

I would also put Donny Darko in this category, but am failing to think of any others at the mo.

Will check out happiness too. Its great to find films like theses, sometimes its all to easy to forget that different films still get made.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
You would probably also appreciate "Trees Lounge." All my British colleagues who I've pointed at this film in the past seem to really like it. And I would definitely recommend you check out the "Permanent Midnight" film I mentioned above.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Harold and Maude and The Royal Tenenbaums

Are definately worth a look

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.