AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mark Cuban mentioned a while back that they had acquired the rights to Russian Ark, so I emailed HDNet to see when it might be on. I haven't seen it yet, but there seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for the new DVD.

From Katie, at HDNet Movies:

"RUSSIAN ARK will air on HDNet Movies in December. It is tentatively

being planned for a mid-December premiere - The schedule will not be

finalized for a few weeks.

Thanks for you interest."

·
Registered
526 Posts
fyi - this is on today at 12:15 pst

other times...

3:15 PM ET / 12:15 PM PT - Fri., Jan. 2nd

11:15 PM ET / 8:15 PM PT - Mon., Jan. 5th

2:30 PM ET / 11:30 AM PT - Fri., Jan. 9th

11:00 AM ET / 8:00 AM PT - Sat., Jan. 10th

2:00 AM ET - Fri., Jan. 16th / 11:00 PM PT - Thu., Jan. 15th

10:00 PM ET / 7:00 PM PT - Sun., Jan. 25th

9:00 AM ET / 6:00 AM PT - Mon., Jan. 26th

·
Registered
402 Posts
Saw this one last night. Very cool. Definitely not the standard hollywood fare. Incredible art. Detail of HD made the film. This film on DVD would not have nearly the impact that it does in HD.

·
Registered
169 Posts
This movie was shot in HD, in a SINGLE TAKE.. Its amazing visually and in story.

HDNet bought out all the post PPV rights, so from now, going forward for a lot of year, it will never , ever, ever been seen in standard definition. .You will only be able to see it in HD on HDNet.

So for you purists. These movies will NEVER be converted, transferred or messed with other than to be encoded for distribution on air

This is the first of what we are working to make many, many such movies that we are buying out the rights to.

Now we wont be able to buy out the big hollywood blockbusters, but there is a ton of great work done in HD

m

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I can live without most of the Hollywood Blockbusters of late. Being able to see good recent films like Russian Ark on HDNet Movies will be a big plus, just wish they'd be scheduled to come on during evening hours here on the West Coast a lot more often. All the good films are on during normal working hours or in the wee small hours of the morning, while primetime is stuffed with mediocre stuff from the 70s and 80s.

BTW, thanks so much for Higher Definition on HDNet--the best tv show about movies on the air. Imagine a show where film directors are interviewed in depth and Pamela Anderson isn't even mentionned!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve S

BTW, thanks so much for Higher Definition on HDNet--the best tv show about movies on the air. Imagine a show where film directors are interviewed in depth and Pamela Anderson isn't even mentionned!
As long as they give us some HD footage of her...

·
Registered
402 Posts
I thought this was a "single take" movie, but I am glad to know my impression was accurate. With all the action (movement) and live music that makes this tour de force through Russian history even more impressive.

Thanks Mark for once again being a pioneer and bringing this to your network. You have an amazing mix of movies on HDNET Movies. Where else could you see the musical Music Man as America as apple pie and Russian Ark as broodingly Russian as a Siberian winter and warm up & catch a wave on Endless Summer II.

HDNET Movies - Fantastic!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I watched this last night mostly because I had the good fortune to have been in Russia last spring and was able to spend two afternoons at the Hermitage. Seeing that beautiful building again along with the art it contains was a great reminder of my trip. The costumes were wonderful, and the music was also good, but I don't have any idea what the **** it was about! I guess from the title the implication is that that building is Russian history (a contention I don't buy). Was there something else? Were we supposed to know who the narrator and the "European" were?

SMK

·
Registered
645 Posts
The DVD has a good commentary track, plus English subtitles. I believe the narrator is actually supposed to be Aleksandr Sokurov, and many of the people that are conversed with are real-life friends/acquaintes of Sokurov (according to the commentary). I don't think the movie really has much of a plot, it is supposed to but if it does it was lost to me. Possibly because the English subtitles only covered the narrator, the "European" and select other indivuals (the curators and such). The commentary also said that the "European" was an allusion to a French author that had visited Russia and written about it, and the book that was being discussed in the one scene was the one that author had written (and thus the "European's" line "All writers have good hair."). I think the entire 'plot' was as a dream, and the film very much comes off that way.

The film is very pretty on DVD, but it screams for HD, especially being filmed that way (and by the sound of the commentary, probably using JVC's Hard Drive system). Unfortunately I will not be able to see it that way until after the HD-TiVo comes out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.