AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the final stages of helping to plan a Russound system for some family members and need to decide how to set up multiple speakers in a single zone. I was hoping some of the experts here could help, as the folks doing the install are good electricians but not particularly knowledgeable about audio gear.

The house in question has a very open floor plan, so we only want to have three discrete zones (deck, master bed and great room/kitchen). The problem is that the layout of the great room requires three pairs of speakers to really cover it well. All three pairs will most likely be proficient 6.5" in-wall speakers, or something similar (but almost certainly 8 ohm).

We would prefer to have just one control panel for the great room that would choose what's playing and adjust volume for all three pairs of speakers, although if we could have more than one control panel and have them all work in sync that would work, too.

Do we:

1) Try to run the speakers in parallel (dropping the load to below 4 ohms) and simply run the whole thing as a single zone? Or is this going to kill the amp? Could we do it with just two pairs of speakers (keeping the load at 4 ohms)?

2) Buy a separate power amp and hook it up to the CAM6.6's variable line-out for that zone? If so, do we just buy a good quality stereo amp that can handle running all three pairs of speakers in parallel? Or do we run two pairs off the outboard amp and the third pair off the CAM6.6's built-in amp for that zone? Would the latter approach simply be asking for trouble trying to get the volume to balance between the three sets of speakers? Does anybody have any recommendations for a basic power amp for this purpose?

3) Simply set up all three pairs of speakers as separate zones (each with their own control panel) and run the whole thing in Party Mode most of the time?

4) Something else? For example, is there any way to "link" two or three zones as master/slave without putting the whole house in Party Mode? Or is it possible to "bridge" the CAM6.6's unused amplifier channels (since we're only using 3 of the 6 zones) so we can run all three pairs of speakers in parallel?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Along the lines of my solution #2 above, I'm thinking the Audiosource Amp 102 might be a good fit--especially if we're only using two pairs of speakers instead of three. It's inexpensive (just over $100), has the ability to drive two pairs of speakers and has the ability to power on via a 12V trigger that I think would work well with the CAM6.6 (so the power amp wouldn't be running 24/7). My only concern is that I've read that Audiosource isn't the most reliable manufacturer out there...

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I'd definitely go with the external amp solution. The Russounds 20W per channel while fine for a single pair of speakers may sound a bit anemic when powering 3 sets, not to mention in an open area with high ceilings.

I use the Audiosource amp myself with a Concerto for my living room/dining room and haven't had any issues. You still may have an unbalance issue (volume will be different between the single and two in parallel) if you connect two sets in parallel to one of the channels and the final set by itself to the other channel. You might consider buying an impedance matching block so that you can connect all three in parallel to your amp. Or, if you want to go cheap, buy three impedance matching volume controls, and locate them at the headend, out of sight. You could then even use them to 'balance' the volume between the three sets.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks robertmee. Do you have the AMP-100 or AMP-102? If the 102, are you using the 12V trigger with your Concerto? I've never used a 12V trigger connection before, but it sounds simple enough so I assume it works well?

I'm thinking it would probably make sense to just hook up two pairs of speakers to the external amp and the third pair of speakers to the CAM6.6's internal amp. Since the AMP-102 has a volume control on it, we should be able to balance the two pairs of speakers running on that with the pair running on the internal amp. Then I just have to convince my family members not to ever touch that volume dial....

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I'm using the AMP-100 which has signal sensing, so I don't use the 12V trigger.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by themicah /forum/post/17054723

No problems with the amp cutting out during quiet musical passages using signal sensing?

Nope

1 - 7 of 7 Posts