AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been surfing these forums for a while, now I'm ready for my first question. I have a Russound CAV6.6 set up with six RNET zones and four A-Bus subzones. I'm currently just using three sources on the Russound--two AM/FM sources from a Russound tuner, and an iPod from a Russound iBridge.

In my family room, which is one of the RNET zones on the Russound, I also have a Denon AVR-1909 and a Panasonic plasma TV. Sources on the Denon are of course the built-in tuner, a standard DVD player, and an Apple TV. I'll soon be building a media center pc to get more capabilities in the theater, and when I save enough money, I'll put in some hdmi switching to get hd content to the kitchen, master bedroom, etc. But those are futures; I have some real questions now.

In the family room audio zone, I have a pair of Boston Acoustics in-ceiling speakers connected to the Russound; I connected cheap Polk Audio tower and center channel speakers to the Denon.

I'd like to hear about the best way to integrate the Russound with the Denon. Ideally, I'd like to be able to play music from the Russound's iPod source on the Denon, or play music from the Apple TV (or soon-to-be-built media center pc) on the Russound. But at the least, I'd like to use all the family room speakers for either system.

I figure I have a couple of easy options to use the in-ceiling speakers (I guess I could do the something similar with the towers):

1. Use an A-B switch to use the in-ceiling speakers in the family room as surround speakers for the Denon, as well as zone speakers for the Russound.

2. Use the Russound SRM2.1 speaker relay module to eliminate the need for the A-B switch and let the Russound take over automatically whenever the zone is turned on.

Either one would be okay, but I'd really like to have the option of using all of the speakers in the family room whenever the family room zone is switched on with the Russound, or have them all dedicated to the home theater when I'm watching a movie on the plasma.

I guess I could hardwire the in-ceiling speakers as surrounds on the Denon, connect the Denon to the Zone Audio (To Amp) connections on the Russound. Would that work? Is there a way to automatically power on the Denon when the zone is switched on? Is there a better way to do all this?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
The simplest way is just to use an A/B switch for the speakers. You could perhaps design some automatic way to do the switching, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. If you did want to automate, you could use a remote control switch such as this CC12 http://www.hometech.com/hts/products...x.html#XA-CC12 and use a programmable remote to control it along with the Denon.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Carl,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I could use an A-B switch, but I'm really looking for some kind of tighter integration between the Denon & Russound. I'd like to use the tower speakers whenever I'm in the family room (whether listening to audio from the Russound, or watching a movie). Even though the speakers were cheap, they sound a lot better than the in-ceiling speakers, especially since I've also got a subwoofer connected to the Denon.

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts