AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Should I wire speakers in series or parallel? (4ohm or 16ohm)

I just bougt a Russound MAC-C5 which is 4 ohm stable. I plan to run a couple zones with 4 speakers (2 lefts and 2 rights). Most speakers are 8 ohms. Will I be better off wiring the 8 ohm speakers in parallel to create a 4 ohm load or would it be safer to join them in series for a 16 ohm load? What differences in sound should I expect with each setup?

While we're talking speakers, I'd love some feedback. I'm going cheap on the speakers and am leaning toward the Monoprice 4103 (6.5 inch). Are the 4104 (8 inch) significantly better? For outside, I'm planning to install 8555 (6.5 inch marine) in my aluminum soffit. Is that a reasonable way to go?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bougt a Russound MAC-C5 which is 4 ohm stable. I plan to run a couple zones with 4 speakers (2 lefts and 2 rights). Most speakers are 8 ohms. Will I be better off wiring the 8 ohm speakers in parallel to create a 4 ohm load or would it be safer to join them in series for a 16 ohm load? What differences in sound should I expect with each setup?

While we're talking speakers, I'd love some feedback. I'm going cheap on the speakers and am leaning toward the Monoprice 4103 (6.5 inch). Are the 4104 (8 inch) significantly better? For outside, I'm planning to install 8555 (6.5 inch marine) in my aluminum soffit. Is that a reasonable way to go?
Did you ever figure this out? I also have the mca5 and would like to have 4 speakers in a couple of zones but was afraid to do it.

I can't help you with the speakers. I waited until I could actually demo any of the brands I was considering purchasing. A lot of people on this forum have said it doesn't really matter with in ceilings, as you'll never get great sound out of them. I'm no audiophile, and i get it that the sound won't be as good as towers, but I def liked some much more than others.

Good luck

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you ever figure this out? I also have the mca5 and would like to have 4 speakers in a couple of zones but was afraid to do it.

I can't help you with the speakers. I waited until I could actually demo any of the brands I was considering purchasing. A lot of people on this forum have said it doesn't really matter with in ceilings, as you'll never get great sound out of them. I'm no audiophile, and i get it that the sound won't be as good as towers, but I def liked some much more than others.

Good luck
I bought some 4 ohm speakers for outside and have been running them with no issues. So combining the 8 ohm speakers to 4 ohms should be no problem. I just demo'd a few speakers for the interior and decided to go with the Micca M-8C They're 8 ohm but they fill a room pretty well so I may not need 4 in a zone after all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts