AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On impulse I recently picked up the Russound VM-1 video distribution unit to add to the CAV and CAM that I already have installed. Currently each room has ceiling speakers fed from the CAV/CAM's with UNO S-1's for direct control and CQC to control the entire system. The video wiring part I can figure out easy enough but where I'm stumped is the best way to have the digital audio portion connect to the tv when watching video and analogue audio connect to the existing ceiling speakers when just listening to music without having to purchase a separate audio switcher.

I hope this makes at least a bit of sense. Any help is appreciated.

Wayne

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hi Wayne,

The CAV/CAM & VM1 solution is designed to rely on the whole-house audio speakers for sound and doesn't really have any provision for additional audio switching.

What you can do is use the composite video switching built into the CAV for switching digital audio, but your CAM doesn't have this capability so any zones connected to it will be a problem.

This still isn't ideal because once you switch the digital audio to your display, you'll also have to mute or turn down the volume on the Russound zone (whole-house audio speakers).

With CQC you can likely automate this as I think it can pick up source changes from the UNO keyapds through the serial connection?

Cheers,

Paul

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Paul, that helps me a lot. I forgot that I read somewhere on this forum that the composite video on the CAV does a decent job with digital audio and I think this will work for me. I won't have more than 6 video locations anyway so I'm good with the one CAV and I can have CQC mute the russound volume when the video is used like you suggest. Just seems odd that Russound which is very mainstream for whole house A/V wouldn't incorporate this into their product.

Thanks again,

Wayne

1 - 3 of 3 Posts