AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am glad to have found such an informative forum. I am in the process of building another home. In the last home I installed all the low voltage needs as well as an intercom system and had a lot up fun with it! Anyway, this time I would like to install a whole house audio system. What I am looking for is a good quality sound at the least expense. I was leaning towards a Russound system until I came across Home Theater Direct. HTD seems like a really good deal, less than 1,500.00 for a 12 channel amp, audio controller, and 6 keypads. I am looking at setting up a 6 zone system and not a big fan of powering the speakers from a keypad. I have a lot of confidence in you guys out there and would really appreciate some advice on which way to go.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello Knagrone;

Unless something comes up that I am not aware of, I have settled on the Russound CAV6.6. My only concern is the 20 watt per channel. I am assuming that will be sufficient for normal listening in my various rooms. To support the Family room (5.1 Dolby) and outdoor pool area I will be leveraging the CAV's Amplified Output ports to a separate AMP.

I don't know anything about the HTD. The two other selling points for the RS for me were it's integration with CQC and JRivers as well as the simplistic keypads. Regardless, I am

wiring my home with 100WATT Speakers and keypad control in the event that I need to replace the unit for something else in the future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ed,

Thanks for your input on the CAV6.6, I may go with the same. My project just expanded to 12 zones so I will have to add another amp. Do you know if I will be able to source an Ipod or other device from any of the zones utilizing the CAV6.6?

Good luck with your install, sounds like it will be a nice setup!

Kevin

·
Registered
632 Posts
I installed a CAV6.6 in my house and it works great. THe 2- w p/c is a little low, especially when you have long speaker runs. I have to add an external amp for certian zones. I am also building an addition and I will have to add another CAV to extend my zones. Also the Russound integrates well with most whole house controllers so you won't be dissapointed if you go with Russound.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I totally agree... go with the Russound. I have the Cav6.6, SMS Media Server, and the Ipod Dock (IBridge).

The SMS and Ibridge take up 3 of the sources.. DVD Player another and two DTV Receivers. Utilizing 5 zones right now and the power is perfect for indoor and outdoor areas.

In my living room I have a 5 speaker surround sound with a dedicated receiver pushing but also use an output on the Cav to AUX on the receiver so I can also have the SMS Server run through the living room surround.

Bottomline... Russound for flexibility and use!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.