AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's a question, how you do handle a local audio source within a CAM or CAV environment ? Do you need a CAV or can you use a CAM? I'd like to put the TV's through the local speakers and control the volume.

I see Russound has a A-LC2 but I don't see how that would integrate with these systems?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Check out this thread from last week for some options. Another option if you have access to the speaker wires would be to put in a speaker selector switch (reverse selector actually). You would have a local amp/receiver by your TV, then run the speaker wires from that, and the speaker wires from the CAV/CAM to the switch, and the speaker outs from the switch to your room speakers. I have not done this, but others on this forum have. Paul may have some better options as well.

Tom

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. I queried the wrong term apparently

I had found the AB-3.2 via Russound which is a triggered speaker selector I figured could be thrown in line and used with an additional multichannel amplifier to drive the ceiling speakers, so when the TV source is outputting it would overtake the Russound being driven by the 2nd amp. I wanted to see if anyone had a better idea they had used.

If that is the preferred solution, what is my best bet for a multi-channel amp that could be IR controlled independently from each room?

Perhaps a separate thread might be in order.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If your TV has audio line outs that are variable (or can be configured as variable), then you can use an amp like the Russound R235LS or Niles TVA50 which are both small amps with built in speaker switches.

Neither have IR control, so this is where it's important that your TV have variable line level outs so you can use your TV remote to control the volume. These are both 2-channel amps so if you're looking for surround sound amplification an AV receiver and external speaker switch like the Russound AB-3.2 you found or the Niles SPK-1 would be a better solution.

The A-LC2 that you mentioned in your original post only works with A-Bus powered zones so won't work with the CAV or CAM main zones, but can be used on an A-Bus subzone paired with the CAV6.6 that has A-Bus subzone capability on the first four zones.

Cheers,

Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts