AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a new TV and I am leaning towards the samsung JS9000 and Samsungs JU7500 Soundbar. Before I take the leap I do have a few questions though.

-Has anyone used the built in RVU client on any of the new 2014 or 2015 TVs? I am curios if you get Dolby Digital when using this, and if it is laggy. I am also curios if there is anything else I would lose by using the RVU client.

-I also have a question more on the soundbar and using Arc. If I end up using the HR 44 as the tuner instead of the RVU Client. If I connect the HR 44 to HDMI 1 and then HDMI 4 using ARC to the TV. Does the sound work correctly? The reason I ask is you would have to have the TV switched to HDMI 1 but the sound would need to go to the soundbar on HDMI 4 since thats the only port that supports ARC.

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess no one has used this before? I went ahead and got the samsung TV and setup the RVU and the Guide is surprisingly fast but when you change the channel there is a short delay which isnt the end of the world.

My biggest issue is that the guide using the RVU is pretty dim and I can figure out how to make it brighter.

I also have not had time to test out the Dolby Digital stuff yet. that is the next on my list.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I guess no one has used this before? I went ahead and got the samsung TV and setup the RVU and the Guide is surprisingly fast but when you change the channel there is a short delay which isnt the end of the world.

My biggest issue is that the guide using the RVU is pretty dim and I can figure out how to make it brighter.

I also have not had time to test out the Dolby Digital stuff yet. that is the next on my list.
Did you get the sound bar? And good? Not sure on RVU. I have comcast :/

·
Registered
291 Posts

Which model Samsung do you have? Do you have the RVU working in your set? If you read the blogs for the JU7100 - you will see that many people have been waiting for Samsung and Directv to get the RVU working for the 2015 Samsung TVs.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Which model Samsung do you have? Do you have the RVU working in your set? If you read the blogs for the JU7100 - you will see that many people have been waiting for Samsung and Directv to get the RVU working for the 2015 Samsung TVs.
I had Directv install wireless devices on most of my Tvs this weekend. I asked about RVU and the installer said “It doesn’t work when it is built-into the TVs”. He said it was so slow that everyone just switches to using their boxes anyway. Basically he said it has been an Epic failure so far.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had Directv install wireless devices on most of my Tvs this weekend. I asked about RVU and the installer said “It doesn’t work when it is built-into the TVs”. He said it was so slow that everyone just switches to using their boxes anyway. Basically he said it has been an Epic failure so far.
I wouldn't completely trust the installers, I had mine out Friday to do the install and I asked hime questions on it and he didn't even know it was an option. I should him how it worked and he said "that's cool".

They are always going to try to sell wha they know and what is easiest for them. I have been using it on my bedroom tv and its working great minus the dim guide. I will probably continue to use it and return my clients. The guide is just as fast as the client.

I am waiting for this feature to become available for my JU7500. I was frustrated when I went to set it up and it said it wasn't available. I guess thats the price we pay for getting the latest and greatest all the time.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
RVU installed on a 2015 Samsung UN55JS9000, and all good so far....also Dolby 3?2 works good
Glad to hear RVU is working now. That is definitely a big plus for the Samsung TVs.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had a JS8500 and took it back. Firmware was up to dat but the RVU would freeze every 20 mins forcing me to power off then it would come back on to the OTA input.

I would say that the RVU when working performed no different than the receiver not slow at all.

The freezing though was just to often.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am currently having a problem on my 65 inch JS8500 regarding RVU. Samsung says it's a Directv problem and and Directv says it's a Samsung problem. A few others with this TV and RVU are having the same problem: when you turn on the TV it goes to HDMI 4 instead of going directly to RVU - this necessitates a few additional clicks on the smart remote. By the way, Samsung customer service is about the worse I have ever encountered!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am currently having a problem on my 65 inch JS8500 regarding RVU. Samsung says it's a Directv problem and and Directv says it's a Samsung problem. A few others with this TV and RVU are having the same problem: when you turn on the TV it goes to HDMI 4 instead of going directly to RVU - this necessitates a few additional clicks on the smart remote. By the way, Samsung customer service is about the worse I have ever encountered!
I have had directv out 3 times and will tell you after a great deal of pain that we could never get the JS9000 to work, ended up having to get the directv 4k genie in order o
make it function but do not plan on a working RVU on the JS9000 in my experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
32" Samsung RVU capable

I am having a HARD TIME finding a 32" Samsung that is RVU ready. Talking to Samsung they state there is an update coming soon (they don't know when) that will include RVU capability. Anyone know when that update will be out?

I bought a Samsung UN32J5205 and it does not have the DirectTV option. They say H series should but cannot find one; last years model.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a new TV and I am leaning towards the samsung JS9000 and Samsungs JU7500 Soundbar. Before I take the leap I do have a few questions though.

-Has anyone used the built in RVU client on any of the new 2014 or 2015 TVs? I am curios if you get Dolby Digital when using this, and if it is laggy. I am also curios if there is anything else I would lose by using the RVU client.

-I also have a question more on the soundbar and using Arc. If I end up using the HR 44 as the tuner instead of the RVU Client. If I connect the HR 44 to HDMI 1 and then HDMI 4 using ARC to the TV. Does the sound work correctly? The reason I ask is you would have to have the TV switched to HDMI 1 but the sound would need to go to the soundbar on HDMI 4 since thats the only port that supports ARC.

Thanks in advanced!
I have a UN65HU8550. I was originally using it with a Genie, but moved the genie to a bedroom, thinking the RVU would suffice. It's buggier than hell. DTV installer was pleasant enough, but did not know what he was doing (I think it was his first install.)

The way he installed it killed the Samsung's smart hub. The installer told me that I'd have to physically disconnect the gene to get internet to the TV (huh?) He also said that the wired internet isn't available, and I had to use wireless.

Luckily, I got it all working after major digging. (you can use the ethernet port on a genie, which restored the smart hub on my TV.)

Anyway, the RVY isn't good. I'd call it beta, at best. I still lose connections at least once a day. The delay is slow and about once a day, the sound disappears for no reason, requiring me to power cycle the tv to get it all to work. I think the RVU also seriously degrades the internet speed to the tv.

All in all, it's a great concept with poor execution. You're better off keeping a box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts