AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at these 2 AVR's and need to act fast. The A700 is listed for $100 more than the 1120. The big thing is the A700 is on special and comes with a 8gb apple Itouch but the offer on the A700 expires soon. I have also looked at the Onkyo HT-RC180 and 807's as they are all under $600


Based on the info provided which would you recommend??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I am really close to pulling the trigger on the A700 the 3yr warranty, free ipod, and supposed higher quality components of the aventege series seem good.


I am just looking for input from the experts here to help me feel assured in my choice.


The company I am buying from has a no refund policy on receivers.....HELP!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
What makes the Yamaha higher quality?


Its 4lbs lighter, requires an extra dock for iPod, rated lower power. Besides all that, they have nearly identical features. Well, I guess the Yamaha does have that 5 foot...
. Really though, what's better about the Yamaha?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
personally, i wouldnt buy from a company that has a no return policy I would try to find a company that does, but thats just me. its just too risky if something goes wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac /forum/post/19506426


What makes the Yamaha higher quality?


Its 4lbs lighter, requires an extra dock for iPod, rated lower power. Besides all that, they have nearly identical features. Well, I guess the Yamaha does have that 5 foot...
. Really though, what's better about the Yamaha?

That's what gives me pause


If I choose the pioneer I lose 2 years of warranty coverage, a free 8gb Itouch, and 1 foot (lol)


With the pioneer I save $100 and I gain networking, ipod interface, 20 watts a channel, THX certification, multizone sound configuration, and in my opinion a better looking AVR.


It's just when you look at the 2 years of warranty and the value of a 8gb itouch it makes the less spec'd receiver a very tempting choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunan /forum/post/19506450


personally, i wouldnt buy from a company that has a no return policy I would try to find a company that does, but thats just me. its just too risky if something goes wrong.

You can exchange for a replacement just no refunds thats standard ops when buying A/V from the egg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
Yeah, the iPod is a sweet deal if you want one. I would just assume they are similar in quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac /forum/post/19506489


Yeah, the iPod is a sweet deal if you want one. I would just assume they are similar in quality.

Supposedly the Aventenge series use higher quality components but that may just be yamaha marketing hype.


I am coming from the Onkyo HTS-9100thx which essentially has the Onkyo 607 AVR. The HDMI has totally taken a giant dump and has been sent to service once already and is now out of warranty. I am sure either of these will be a upgrade over that model minus the less detailed audio configurator the yamaha has.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/19507156


Can someone confirm that the A700 is indeed a better receiver then the Onkyo HTR-960 that I have now?

Define better?


It's non trivial to compare power. You can look at the power consumption measurements for both. You can compare weights. But that's about it.


From a sonic quality perspective, that's subjective, so even if someone has heard both, they can likely only offer a subjective evaluation, and almost every time, they had not listened in controlled conditions.


From a features perspective, you would have to the list the differences, and make your own evaluation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19507178


Define better?


It's non trivial to compare power. You can look at the power consumption measurements for both. You can compare weights. But that's about it.


From a sonic quality perspective, that's subjective, so even if someone has heard both, they can likely only offer a subjective evaluation, and almost every time, they had not listened in controlled conditions.


From a features perspective, you would have to the list the differences, and make your own evaluation.

All valid points and considering my HDMI processing is tango uniform at the moment anything would be better. I am just concerned I am buying a receiver based on warranty and freebies not on feature set. I am also concerned that the Aventenge line is basically a $100 price increase for different badging and a 5th foot.


I think the best value with the included freebies is the A700 my concern is that I am not getting the best receiver. I have even looked at the A1000 but in that price range there are so many different receivers that the comparison is making my head spin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Well, I have had very good luck with Yamaha, and feel they have usually been priced fairly.


Pioneer has produced some excellent valued receivers. I can't but help thinking Yamaha receivers may have a little better quality than Yamaha, based on anecdotal evidence. People have come to this forum complaining about somewhat new Pioneer receivers dying on them. Usually when people come to say their Yamaha receiver does not work, it's an old model.


I would not take any of this too seriously though, because I have no real data. The only "fact" is that Yamaha receivers have generally worked well for me, and all the ones I bought that I know about still work - only one needed service, and that was a stereo receiver, not an AVR.


(I have owned the 795a (still working far as I know,) the RX-V665 (still working in my bedroom setup,) the RX-V2700 (sold to a friend, still working I believe,) the RX-V3900 (sold,) and now the Z7 (my main receiver, works perfect.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,815 Posts
I also would vote for the Yamaha. Have had many and all still work. Never had to have service on any of them. I'm sure there are many on here that would say the same thing with Pioneer though. Pick the one that has what you want/need and go for it. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice and the input I have definitely noticed that there is what appears to be some well deserved brand loyalty and pride in yamaha owners. I think I will go ahead and bite on the A700 and report back with my findings. Thanks for all the input and great advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I went and played with the yamaha at a local store for the past few hours and I am lost on a few things.


On my onkyo, the denons and pioneers I can select movie, music, and game sound settings that are DTS and Dolby. The yamaha's seemed to only have their pre programmed sound fields and I did not see an option to select different dolby or DTS options. Can a yamaha owner enlighten me as to how you select your dolby or dts sound modes?


I saw the denon 3311 and was quite impressed obviously in my price range I would opt for the 3310 but if I throw that in the mix is the 3310 a superior AVR to the pio 1120 or 667/700 by yamaha?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/19508915


So I went and played with the yamaha at a local store for the past few hours and I am lost on a few things.


On my onkyo, the denons and pioneers I can select movie, music, and game sound settings that are DTS and Dolby. The yamaha's seemed to only have their pre programmed sound fields and I did not see an option to select different dolby or DTS options. Can a yamaha owner enlighten me as to how you select your dolby or dts sound modes?


I saw the denon 3311 and was quite impressed obviously in my price range I would opt for the 3310 but if I throw that in the mix is the 3310 a superior AVR to the pio 1120 or 667/700 by yamaha?

My vote with these would be with the Denon 3310 over the others in this list. It sold for more than twice the amount of the ones you are considering at this time. It is also a network AVR, and a better version of an EQ program than the others. As for the Yamaha sound modes you would just press the Dolby or DTS button on the remote continually to cycle through the Dolby modes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/19509084


My vote with these would be with the Denon 3310 over the others in this list. It sold for more than twice the amount of the ones you are considering at this time. It is also a network AVR, and a better version of an EQ program than the others. As for the Yamaha sound modes you would just press the Dolby or DTS button on the remote continually to cycle through the Dolby modes.

That would explain it they didnt have the remote out so I was fumbling around with the front panel of the receiver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac /forum/post/19506426


What makes the Yamaha higher quality?


Its 4lbs lighter, requires an extra dock for iPod, rated lower power. Besides all that, they have nearly identical features. Well, I guess the Yamaha does have that 5 foot...
. Really though, what's better about the Yamaha?

Don't you get it ?, it's that 5th foot.



Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright before I pull the trigger on the Denon 3310 are there any other receivers currently priced under $600 that you guys would recommend over the 3310?


I am still using the included 7.1 Speakers that came with my Onkyo 9100THX should I even be thinking about using a seperate amp with non high end speakers like the onkyo's?
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top