AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am new to the home theater world. Just purchased and set up the Yamaha Rx-A730 to  Sharp Aquos 60 T.V., Polk Audio Tsx 550t's, Tsx-250c and PSW11 subwoofer. Additionally, Direct T.V. as well as an X-box 360 are connected to the 730. I am using the current blu ray, an LG player until replaced at a later time. Everything is run into the 730 and then 1 HDMI up to the T.V. All the switching is done at the 730, but I would like (if possible) to have the blu ray switched at the T.V. (with surround) or switched at the T.V. and the 730 if possible. I have a 13 year old son with Down syndrome who is capable of switching between blu ray and Direct at the T.V. but not sure if the 730 will present a problem for him. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
I would suggest you get a programmable remote control. You can set it up with macros that are easy to understand and intuitive and take any decision-making out of the equation for your son. Just set it up to "Watch TV" "Watch Bluray", etc...

It'll be some work for you, but the simplicity on the other end will be worth it.

Harmony comes to mind for an affordable solution. There are other, more costly solutions, as well. Alternatively, there is some relatively new software out for smart phones that allows you to set up the available buttons on the screen (as opposed to a remote with lots of buttons for him to wade through) and how those buttons are labeled.

Here's a discussion of some of these topics:

http://www.techhive.com/article/214423/turn_your_smartphone_into_your_home_theater_remote_control.html

and then there is this:

http://www.iruleathome.com/irule-for-diy-enthusiasts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the reply and information, eventually a universal setup will be beneficial. However, after re-reading my original post, I don't think I was clear about what's going on. The problem is the only way to get the blu ray to work is thru the receiver. If the 730 is not on, I get no signal to the T.V. Additionally, we hooked the X-box up the 730 via HDMI an d it has the same result, no signal. I am certain the problem is how I have everything setup, but being new I am having difficulty figuring out what to do and where to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts