AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how many of you have decided to keep their units and how many of you have returned them and why? I am definitely keeping my 1400 as I find it getting better each day. I am very satisfied wit HT and music both and above all the YPAO feature.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I returned mine. I didn't like the consistency of the YPAO (although after you ran it multiple times and found a setup you like, it was pretty cool), I didn't like how hot it ran (5" above the unit to the next shelf and the underside of the shelf would be HOT after 30 minutes.) I didn't like the voltage of the pre-outs; just thought they were weak compared to the pre-outs I've used on other amps. I didn't like the fact that you couldn't have different settings for different component inputs. I don't know about you, but my level setting are different for a DVD, CD, TV, etc. I wasn't using all of the internal amps so it wasn't an issue for me, but the fact that Yamaha says it puts out 100 x 7 but yet only pulls around 500 watts of power consumption. And I think someone else on this forum said it best when equated the display on the unit to a Christmas tree; and it's just not the pretties unit in the rack. So, in a nutshell, I was glad I bought it locally through an authorized dealer and was able to bring it back. Other people have said they absolutely love these units, but I just wasn't one of them. I bought an Adcom 200 x 3 to go with my Adcom 200 x 2; I just needed more power and more headroom. Now that my amplification is done, I can pick up a receiver as a pre/pro and not have to worry at all about internal amplification. New Harmon Kardon's look pretty cool...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I am certainly keeping my 2400. Very happy indeed, a huge step up from my older Sony DB930.

I found the YPAO to be a fantastic option, and made the unfinished basement HT sound wonderful. Sound was well balanced throughout, and having watched about 10 movies on it over the weekend (a mixture of DTS/ES, Dolby Digital and DTS) I have no regrets at all (neither does my wife, which is a bonus) nor do I have any doubt in my mind that I made a good decision, and for the money it can't be beat.

Is it perfect? Of course not, but what sub $1K receiver is? The remote is not exactly ergonomic, the connections on the back aren't gold plated, and why is there not an update to the fascia?

Multi Channel input (from my Sony 775 SACD player) sounded better than my Sony too, this I am sure is the TOP-ART amp stage, but again it's another positive! Had I found a Pioneer 47 Elite for less than grand I'd be all over it, however I appear to have missed that boat. But again, I do not regret getting the 2400, I am happy - and that's what counts :)

With regards to it running hot, I played Pink Floyd DSoTM very loudly (Time @ 0dB for instance) and it may just be the fact that I have good clearance and the rack allows air flow around every square inch of the receiver, but it just was not that hot at all - I made a point of it to check.

- Brett

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am also very happy with my 2400!

The only problem I've run into is the limited device library and memory in the remote... which is something I'm willing to live with in order to have the wonderful automated setup and great DSP modes.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by erikb333
I didn't like how hot it ran (5" above the unit to the next shelf and the underside of the shelf would be HOT after 30 minutes.) I wasn't using all of the internal amps so it wasn't an issue for me, but the fact that Yamaha says it puts out 100 x 7 but yet only pulls around 500 watts of power consumption. and it's just not the pretties unit in the rack.

Most receivers run hot and Yamaha's actually run cooler then most of them which would mean a more efficient amplifier.

Both my HTR-5660 and my current RX-V3300 run way cooler then my old Sony ES and Denon receivers.

That wattage rating means nothing, the RX-Z1 has a 550 watt rating and it has been measured by S&V to put out 117x5 with all channels driven.

I happen to think my 3300 is the most attractive receiver made but then I appreciate the simple design.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by James W. Johnson
Most receivers run hot and Yamaha's actually run cooler then most of them which would mean a more efficient amplifier.

Both my HTR-5660 and my current RX-V3300 run way cooler then my old Sony ES and Denon receivers.

That wattage rating means nothing, the RX-Z1 has a 550 watt rating and it has been measured by S&V to put out 117x5 with all channels driven.

I happen to think my 3300 is the most attractive receiver made but then I appreciate the simple design.
Hello James,

I just ordered my 3300! (still waiting for it to arrive) Just wanted to ask you how happy you are with yours? Yes, I am looking for some praise, I was a bit concerned that I should have gone with the 2400.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by UB748
Hello James,

I just ordered my 3300! (still waiting for it to arrive) Just wanted to ask you how happy you are with yours? Yes, I am looking for some praise, I was a bit concerned that I should have gone with the 2400.

Thanks,

Joe

I love it! :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
I think the 3300 should make anyone happy as it is a monster of a receiver with robust amps. I had a tough choice to make between the 1400 and the 3300 and went with the 1400 because I am going to primarily use it as a prepro. The 1400 has dual 32 bit latest chips (YSS-930) and does all decoding and video upconversion from s-video to component. The YPAO does an awesome job for me and it makes an overall fantastic prepro. If I did not have existing external amplification then I would have definitely gone with the 3300. And BTW, I don't think I could go wrong at the price I paid which was $499 brand new for the 1400 from an authorized dealer.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kendrid, I got somewhat lucky because I was going to pick up my 1400 which was in the store on hold for me and some other sales guy sold it to someone else. When I showed up at the store, no 1400! I was rather unhappy but then the manager said if take the trouble to come back I could have it for $499. So that's the story behind that price :D

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NickSP
I think the 3300 should make anyone happy as it is a monster of a receiver with robust amps. I had a tough choice to make between the 1400 and the 3300 and went with the 1400 because I am going to primarily use it as a prepro. The 1400 has dual 32 bit latest chips (YSS-930) and does all decoding and video upconversion from s-video to component. The YPAO does an awesome job for me and it makes an overall fantastic prepro. If I did not have existing external amplification then I would have definitely gone with the 3300. And BTW, I don't think I could go wrong at the price I paid which was $499 brand new for the 1400 from an authorized dealer.

NICK you have a PM;)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Im not returning my rx-v2400 as there isnt anythng I dont like. In my rack it doesnt run very hot , ypao works for me, theres no bugs or defects, no voltage problems, no hums, plenty of hookups, all the modes and features are current, the surround enhancement was a big bonus for me (as I wasnt expecting much), seperation and center channel dialog very good (important to me), not bright or dull and seems very dynamic for a 1000.00 receiver.

PS. I dont think YPAO is something "you can mess around with in a store for a couple of minutes" to decide that its not accurate..and only after a home audition in your listening environment could tell you for sure.. (there arent a whole heck alot of lucky people out there with "perfectly acoustic" HT rooms.

·
Registered
138 Posts
We just got an RX-V2400 from Yamaha to do a thorough review. I currently own an RX-V3000, and I have a Sherbourn 7/2100 amplifier (not that the 3000 needs it...) It will be interesting to see what my review yields in terms of quality and features of the 2400. If it's up to par as a processor, then I will probably buy one to replace the 3000.

My Yamaha RX-V3000 is for sale , BTW, for anyone wanting a great deal on a pre-DPLII receiver. I only wish it was upgradable.

I haven't cracked open the 2400 yet - but if it doesn't have adjustable input trims I'll be a little disappointed. This is a really useful feature and even Onkyo supports it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My V2400 is a keeper.

The YPAO setup system works well for me.

Considering the number of things I have hooked up to this thing, that it was a snap to setup, and that it has given me ZERO troubles, I am very happy.

The number of playback modes and submodes (CinemaDSP, THX, DD, DTS, Enhanced, EX, ES etc etc) is a bit confusing. But it seems to do the right thing pretty much all the time.

I am using the V2400 for audio processing only right now. Video switching is handled by a Lumagen Vision video processor.

Mine doesn't seem to run hot. The top is cool to the touch. But it has plenty of ventilation.

I replaced a older Marantz analog THX pre/pro and a Technics DD/DTS pre/pro along with two separate Rotel amps (one 6 channel bridged to three channels and one stereo). I think I'm probably conserving several hundred Watts for my audio now too.

I am driving 5 Tannoy D-series speakers and a PSB subwoofer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Keeping My RX-V1400 also.. will update in another year or two..... looking for DVI / HDMI and Firewire next go round.

To bad DPL IIx is not there but not a big deal.. I plan to use two chnls for another room anyway. Waiting for firewire hookup between DVD and RX-V???? for under 1500.00.

No 4 Ohm setting for my PhaseTech PC 9.1s.. but seams to work fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Will be returning my RXV2400 tomorrow - I liked the feature set, but with my B&W 602 s2 front speakers, it was just too harsh sounding, flat, equalized, straight, processed or whatever. These are just subjective comments, surely, but the sound to me was a step back from the Sony DA30ES I am replacing.

Picked up a Pioneer VSX-55txi to try out instead. After only one night, I can tell that the overall sound is more to my liking, and the ability to store two auto equalization settings (all speakers equalized and surrounds equalized to the fronts) is a nice additional feature. I miss the phase check on the Yamaha - it picked up three errors on my part in my hurry to get things connected.

Biggest advantage so far is connectivity. I have a PowerBook, an iPod and a Mitsubishi WS55511. The PowerBook sounds terrific with iTunes when connected to the Pioneer via USB - I can confirm that this receiver is OS X compatible, even though the manual won't. I'm testing the iPod with the Pioneer iLink/Firewire connection very soon, and can confirm that the TV and the receiver saw each other when hooked up via Firewire. I'll test what they can do when hooked up if I decide to keep this puppy.

Have an SVS 20-39 PC+ sub on the way, as the equalization programs on both receivers have shown just how ineffective the current Boston Acoustics sub I'm using is. I bought it when I was young and foolish - turns out that the B&Ws have just about as much extension as the sub - that's how bad it was with all speaker size and crossover settings. The final piece for this theater will be to replace the hodgepodge of repurposed speakers of my youth now in the surround role with four B&W 600s3's to complete my all B&W lineup. Once I get there, I think I'll be in the Nirvana available at my price point.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have had my 1400 for about a week. I had a 2300 for a month before I got the 1400. I don't know what to think. My unit seems to be lacking LFE when hooked up with analog cables playing anything, including DVD-A from the Pioneer 45a. Sound is just dead. I have everything hooked up correctly. I have checked and rechecked. I love the 1400 when it comes to playing movies from the digital connection though. I thought I was upgrading with the newer 1400 unit, but I am having second thoughts. My 2300 had so much more bass and LFE.

The only way to get around the lack of LFE on the analog end is to crank the volume up on my sub for DVD-A, and use the 1400 controls to keep the bass at -15 or so when using the digital connection. Before on my 2300 my 45a settings were at +2 for main speakers. Now they are at -6 and my sub at +6 on the 45a, just to get a reading on my SPL meter, and that was at a volume at -13 on the 1400 using Video Essentials DVD.

Anyone else with low LFE from the analog inputs? I have 3 weeks or so left with the 1400 so at least I have time to make a decision.

Thanks,

PAT

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.