AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals

I got this new receiver and KSW-10 klipsch subwoofer. I did the autosetup and could not hear the sub. I know it was on because I could feel the vibration on the cone. I got into the manual controls and dialed everything up and next to nothin.

The only way I get sub volume is when I go to 7.1 ehanced mode and it sounds fine but I have to rebalance my entire setup. It sounds the best of all modes only because the sub works with it. I am getting 5.1 feeds from my Dishnetwork and off recorded video so it should work in other modes but it is not.

I double checked the subwoofer to LFE/L on the sub. I played with all the controls on the sub meaning On/Auto/Off and the 0/180 for in and out of phase.

I really like the two when they work but getting them to work in a calibrated environment is seemingly beyond me.

Any suggestions would be great.

I also have gone into the manual setup and tried jacking up the subwoofer output as well. That is all I can think of and it is killin me. I had a SONY HTIB and although I can tell this is much better. I got a more tuned setup with that POC.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah. I can get the 4 surrounds to work fine together but my sub just doesn't thump. I reread and it sounded like it wouldn't work in surround mode but that is not the case.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Have you "told" the Pioneer that you have a sub?

Do you have all the other speakers set to "Small" with a crossover to the sub set up?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a Yamaha receiver....my bad. I will check the speaker sizes.

I believe I have told it that it has a sub...perhaps I am doing it improperly though.

·
Registered
22,521 Posts
Good to note here that satellite broadcasts are not known for a lot of LFE.

In manual setup on the Yamaha, what are ALL the channel levels showing at after running YPAO?

Assuming the sub has a level dial, where's it set at?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have subsequently deviated from all them to get the most appealing sound until I can figure it out. I will rerun it when I get back home and post. I had the sub just under 1/2 volume and max freq per the setup instructions before the calibration. Currently it is 3/4 volume with the menu level 95%.

·
Registered
22,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindbartimaeus /forum/post/18261642

I have subsequently deviated from all them to get the most appealing sound until I can figure it out. I will rerun it when I get back home and post. I had the sub just under 1/2 volume and max freq per the setup instructions before the calibration. Currently it is 3/4 volume with the menu level 95%.

Some subs with "auto sensing" inputs tend to shut themselves off too easily and don't respond and turn on again easily enough. This is dealt with by turning the sub output down and turning the sub level up at the AVR. In any case you don't usually want the sub's output to be set more than 3/4 high, and 1/2 is better.

To start, you want YPAO to set the sub at near "0" level, and the other speakers should be +/- no more than a few db. Adjust the sub's output till you get that. Do not change levels after running YPAO on any channels except the sub. Increase the sub level in the AVR by 5db, then turn the sub down by a corresponding amount. Most people prefer the sub a few db higher than YPAO sets it, so adjust according to taste.

Do please also review the instructions for running YPAO and follow them to the letter, using a tripod for the mic and placing it correctly. Eliminate ALL ambient noise. Be sure the sub is in "on" mode before running YPAO.

And find something other than satellite TV to evaluate the sub, since LFE is pretty low in broadcast audio.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts