AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Looks like my Yamaha RX-V663 just died after a little over 6 years of use. I went to turn it on saw a spark on the inside near the back left and then it turned itself off. Now it will only turn itself on for a few seconds before shutting off. I ruled out the speakers by disconnection everything from it - it still shuts off after a few seconds.

So it looks like I may need to get a new receiver (unless a local repair place says it can be fixed cheaply).

I just need a basic receiver that will power my Acculine A1 bookshelf speakers (4) and the Acculine A2 center in a 5.1 setup. I believe all the speakers are rated at 8ohms except the center channel which might be 4 ohms.

Will the low end Yamaha or Onkyo receivers be enough to power these? I'm not looking for any extra features like online connectivity or even AirPlay since I used my Apple TV with it anyway.

Thanks!

Edit: How would something like say the Onkyo TX-SR333 compare to the Yamaha RX-V377?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are buying online, I would spent a little extra and snag the RX-V675 from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V67...qid=1428355430&sr=8-1&keywords=yamaha+rx-v675

Those two A/V receivers are almost as expensive as the RX-675, and if I were you I would go for it. I think the RX-V675 is a successor to the RX-V663.
That does look like an awesome deal and I'd jump on it once I confirm my receiver isn' worth fixing...but I'm in Canada and Amazon.com won't ship that outside the US.

I'll see if I can find any other deals on that particular model though.

Edit:

With the current exchange rate I can get the TX-SR333 for around $223.54 USD but would that receiver work well enough with my speakers?

·
Registered
329 Posts
That does look like an awesome deal and I'd jump on it once I confirm my receiver isn' worth fixing...but I'm in Canada and Amazon.com won't ship that outside the US.

I'll see if I can find any other deals on that particular model though.

Edit:

With the current exchange rate I can get the TX-SR333 for around $223.54 USD but would that receiver work well enough with my speakers?
I have the TX-SR313 which is last year's model and I used it on floor speakers and speakers that can handle over 120W, and the receiver was powerful enough to power them and loud enough for music and movies.

I would go for the TX-SR333 at that price since it doesn't have the same HDMI board issues that mine had.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the TX-SR313 which is last year's model and I used it on floor speakers and speakers that can handle over 120W, and the receiver was powerful enough to power them and loud enough for music and movies.

I would go for the TX-SR333 at that price since it doesn't have the same HDMI board issues that mine had.
Thanks for the input guys.

I just bought the TX-SR333. At first I was a little put off by how much less it weighs than my RX-V663 but so far it sounds good with my speakers and I'm even surprised by the quality of bluetooth audio from my iPhone.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, you bought it already and hook it up? So is the sound quality better or about the same as your previous receiver?
I haven't tested it enough yet but so far I would have to say the quality is at least the same as the RX-V663. But I'll need to test it with the Blu-ray 5.1 PCM/Master audio to know for sure.

My projector bulb in my ViewSonic Pro8200 just blew last week(bad luck!) and I'm waiting for the replacement in the mail so right now I'm just using the unit without any display device.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well when you do, I like to know how it turned out. Yeah, Onkyo's entry level receiver have really gone up in sound quality, and I really like how my SR-313 sounded. I really hope that receiver last a long time for you, don't let it get very hot which causes HDMI boards to fail.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, it does seem surprisingly good for being entry level. I should be receiving my projector bulb today so I'll post back about how it performs at high volumes with 5.1 HD audio from a Blu-ray later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts