AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the situation. I've had my Yamaha RX-V663 for just over a year, to power my SVS SBS-01 speakers. The sound is good, but has left me wanting a bit more. A buddy of mine offered to sell me his Pioneer VSX-1019 for cheap, in other words, I can easily sell my V663 used and pay for the 1019 without paying additional money.

I never blast my speakers since I live in a condo, so I always listen to low-mid range volumes. I also want a receiver that sounds good at lower volumes and doesn't lose clarity.

I've been hearing talk about the Pioneer being lighter than last years models, so quality is diminishing, meanwhile there's others who say it's because technology has gotten better and amps can now be lighter and more efficient, yadda yadda...

My question is simple...apart from having more HDMI ports, and a better upscaler, what I'm mainly concerned about is sound quality. So, features aside, will the Pioneer provide me better sound quality than the Yamaha?

THanks

·
Registered
498 Posts
Probably not worth the switch. From what I remember, I think the 663 has a better amplifier section and probably a better power supply. It probably weighs a good amount more than the 1019 too. The 663 and the Pioneer 1018 were very comparable models when they were out, then Yamaha and Pioneer scaled back the 665 and 1019.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I did a bit of looking into the 663 vs the 1018, and then the 1018 vs the newer 1019, and I've decided to stick with the Yamaha.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts