AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm considering the V667, but right now I don't have the need or desire for a 7.1 speaker system. My question is... it I purchase this receiver, am I Ok using it with a 5.1 speaker system? Will I do any damage to the receiver or will I be missing much in sound?

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDx /forum/post/19517286

I'm considering the V667, but right now I don't have the need or desire for a 7.1 speaker system. My question is... it I purchase this receiver, am I Ok using it with a 5.1 speaker system? Will I do any damage to the receiver or will I be missing much in sound?

The 667 has the ability to decode and power a 7.1 system but you do not have to use the receiver in this fashion whatsoever. There really isn't any movies out there right now with discrete 7.1 audio (Toy Story 3 is 7.1), so right now when you utilize the "surround back" speakers it's just a matrix mix, which can add an interesting rear effect but you won't be missing much and the vast majority of people still run a regular old 5.1 system. The receiver will just have the capability to do 7.1, you can't damage anything at all when not using all 7 channels. You can use a full 7.1 receiver as a regular old 2 channel stereo if you want. The extra amplifiers in the receiver will sit idle if not in use. I have this receiver and run 5.1 speakers.

By the way there is a big thread on the 667 HERE.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
There's more 7.1 movies than Toy Story, but someone in the industry mentioned that 7.1 soundtracks may not have been mixed that way.

I don't recommend 5.1 receivers, because they are usually the ultra budget models with the weakest power supplies. Using 7.1 receivers with a 5.1 setup is probably quite common.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19517449

There's more 7.1 movies than Toy Story, but someone in the industry mentioned that 7.1 soundtracks may not have been mixed that way.

I don't recommend 5.1 receivers, because they are usually the ultra budget models with the weakest power supplies. Using 7.1 receivers with a 5.1 setup is probably quite common.

Yeah, I was just throwing out the hot 7.1 title right now. One definitely wants to go with a 7.1 AVR, to have the capability and for future proofing, as well as avoiding those ultra cheap models as you said!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Guys

I'm a bit late onto this one so hope ye guys are still around to help. I have purchased this Yamaha 667 and I have hooked it up to some 5.1 speakers. Unfortunately, i did the YPAO automatic set up of the speakers and it hasn't (or has problems) recognizing both rear speakers. I have them cabled up to the correct ports and I have left the extra 7.1 ports free. Any suggestions on this ? I guess (hope) there is a manual method to do this but it would be good to get this to work correctly. I have reset the unit and tried again but still no success. I get this really annoying "E-6" messages which during the set up but the doco doesn't give much of a fix

Thanks again for any replies

·
Registered
9,437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_o_grady /forum/post/20795607

Hey Guys

I'm a bit late onto this one so hope ye guys are still around to help. I have purchased this Yamaha 667 and I have hooked it up to some 5.1 speakers. Unfortunately, i did the YPAO automatic set up of the speakers and it hasn't (or has problems) recognizing both rear speakers. I have them cabled up to the correct ports and I have left the extra 7.1 ports free. Any suggestions on this ? I guess (hope) there is a manual method to do this but it would be good to get this to work correctly. I have reset the unit and tried again but still no success. I get this really annoying "E-6" messages which during the set up but the doco doesn't give much of a fix

Thanks again for any replies

Hi robert_o_grady, just to make sure for 5.1 ... your two rear surround should still be connected to "Right & Left Surround" terminals and not "Right & Left Surround Back" terminals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts