AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a pair of Energy CF-70 towers and now I need a receiver. I'll be building a 5.1 eventually (and maybe 7.1 further down the road).

I've narrowed my options down between the V667 and Denon 1911/12 for about the same price. There is also an open box S608 Onkyo without remote for the same price, but unless that's a much better receiver I'll rule it out.

I could also be talked into a Pioneer VX 31 for even cheaper, but I have a feeling it's not as good.

Are these receivers good for those speakers? Is it overkill? Underkill?

I've searched and searched and both these receivers are highly thought of, I just need something better than flipping a coin.

·
Premium Member
7,986 Posts
I guess it depends on the features you care most about. The Yamaha is nice because it has preouts for addition of an external amplifier. The 667 also offers better legacy connectivity if that's important to you. It's been my experience that YPAO works pretty well if not as flexible as some of the other options out there. The 1912 features networking with Airplay and Audyssey MultiEQ room correction and a USB port (for portable players, flash drives etc-works with MP3/WMA/FLAC). The 1911 will be cheaper of course since it's last year's model but it lacks networking. It does video upconversion (Anchor Bay) if that's important to you (the 1912 lacks upconversion capability).

·
Registered
29,307 Posts
The 1912 adds an ethernet port for streaming of internet radio, Pandora, etc.

The 1911 has a Anchor Bay video scaler for analog video devices but no ethernet port.

the 667 has multichannel inputs, 7.1 preouts and more connectivity options, but no ethernet port

I would skip the Onkyo 608 due to the heat and HDMI problems posted in threads on these forums.

any of them would work with CF-70 speakers, just depends what other features you need.

If it were my choice I'd get the Denon 1912.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.