AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been debating between the RX-V4600, the becoming cheaper RX-Z9 and waiting. I expect Yamaha will release an HDMI version in the RX-Z series within the next 10-24 months. I'm wondering what real improvements they can possibly add to the RX-Z9 besides this capability. Would it not be cheaper to just get an HDMI switch and an RX-Z9 then wait for an expensive RX-Z(x) replacement? The jump from the Z1 to the Z9 was substantial, but I just cant see what else I would really want or need (HD radio? XM radio? more power? analog upconversion to HDMI?).

The 4600 seems like a good compromise in some regards but I think the power and fancier DAC's make the Z9 worth an extra $1000.

Any musings to this extent would be appreciated...

·
Registered
955 Posts
Yes Willib,

I'm also the owner of the top end Yamaha DSP-Z9 A/V amplifier for 2 years now (European version of the RX-Z9) and I would like to see what will be the new yamaha flagship A/V amplifier specifications...

For me, the main drawbacks of the Z9 are :

- No HDMI 1.2 or 1.3 input switcher that are managing the SACD/DVD-A multichanels together with digital video,

- No HDMI (HDCP) digital video output (to output the video scaler)

- The lack of 1080P support for its scaler for my Sony VPH-G90 projector ;) ,

- The completely crazy :mad: CGMS/Macrovision protected material detection of the video scaler section that limit the use of the scaler to 480p/576p mode only (I must did the firmware patch of my Pioneer 747 DVD player to remove CGMS/MV generation :cool: ).

- The 7.1 PRE out that are placed after volume so you can't use external analog filtering / equalization for the front speakers.

Any rumours about the release of the the Z9 successor from Yamaha ?

John

·
Registered
955 Posts
Around 3500 Euros including VAT in France

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.