AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yamaha RXV800. I am going to get a LCD HDTV. My STB is a SA3800HDTV. I watch a very little DVD and don't do gaiming, thus watch TV almost exclusively. Question is: I would liek to route everything through the Yammy and then to the TV (as is now presently set up with the old TV). As the Yammy doesn't have HDMI, I plan to use components out from the STB to the Yammy and then components to the new TV. How much quality will I be loosing with components vs HDMI? Or, to put it another way, is it really worth it to get another AV receiver? Thanks.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
My XBox 360 is connected with component and looks great. So HDMI from a quality perspective isn't a must have connection.

One advantage HDMI has for video is that it can avoid some steps with a digital source. Take DVD players. With a component video connection, the DVD player needs to convert a digital stream to component video, and then your LCD TV needs to reverse the process. HDMI should avoid that.

HDMI may be better for 1080p, because it sounds like component video connections may not support 1080p in all cases. I don't know if that's due to limitations with source devices or TVs.

HDMI allows you to run a single cable for both audio and video which is a nice feature. HDMI audio can carry higher bandwidth than S/PDIF connections. That's useful for Blu-ray and HD DVD if you plan on getting a player in the future.

Frankly, HDMI seems to be the best AV connection for the next few years, but you can certainly get by without it. Also, the number of HDMI connections on receivers is often limited in the lower price ranges which is irritating given the increasing number of HDMI sources (DVD players, High definition players, Gaming consoles, camcorders, DVRs and even set top boxes.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts