AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally started the construction of my new ht/gameroom. I moved into this house in August of 06 and am now just starting the work. My wife has given me until the end of April 07 to get this mostly finished so that we can have our daughters 1st b-day party in the room.

Here is a list of the current equipment that will be in the room once it is finished.

Video

RCA 51" Rear projection

Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player

Audio

h/k AVR 335

Mirage Omni 250 (x2 front l/r)

Mirage Omni CC

Mirage Omni FX (x2 side surrounds)

Mirage Omni 50 (x2 rear surrounds)

Paradigm PS1000 sub

Game System

Nintendo GameCube

Game Room

FatCat fooseball table

Sportcraft electric dartboard

Pub table for cards and cribage

Old fridge

The first planned additions once the room is completed will be:

Kasson or Brunswick 8' pool table

60"+ HDTV (to replace the RCA)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the basement before I started the work. The walls were already finished when we moved in, which is a mixed blessing. Good that I don't have to due the work, bad because it is hard to run wiring.

Game room area were pool table and fooseball table will be.

My PC will be to the left of the door and the pub table will be in front of the post.

Stairway from the 1st floor. The rock on the floor was removed.

View from game room to ht area.

HT area.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After contacting a structural engineer about removing poles, I was given the option to add a new pole 15' away from the outside walls on both sides.

This pole will be removed to make room for the pool table.

New support pole 15' away from outside wall.

Just a shot of an old RCA radio I got from my inlaws. It still works too.

HT area again, this pole will also be removed.

New support pole hidden in the utility room.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What little framing that I had to due is now complete and I have 2 support poles removed.

Game room with support pole removed.

Framing around the only exposed poles.

Framing is completed around the water main. Cabinets will be installed to the left of this closet.

Framing around the sump pump and the equipment rack. There will be 24" X 48" oak shelving in each of these two colums. The right side will be aprox 8" deep for movies and other stuff while the left side will be approx 24" deep for the equipment with access doors on the bottoms of both. I am adding an 8" high stage between the columns to raise the TV and center channel.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Ryan, good luck with your built.

FYI, there is an option here on AVS to use a white backgrounf versus the black background. When you use the yellow font, those of use with the white background can't read it. Your whole first post might as well have been invisible. You might consider just using the default colors when you post.

Bud

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I am getting close to completing the drywall, and am now in the process of picking out colors. I got a big "NO" from the wife on the dark red color I was planning on using in this room, so know I am up for suggestions because I have no clue on what a good color would be.

Does anyone here have any good ideas on what colors would work well in a room like this? I can't have something that is too dark, but I don't want white either.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Looks good so far, definitely a good idea to get rid of the teleposts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog /forum/post/0

Ryan, good luck with your built.

FYI, there is an option here on AVS to use a white backgrounf versus the black background. When you use the yellow font, those of use with the white background can't read it. Your whole first post might as well have been invisible. You might consider just using the default colors when you post.

Bud

I've heard this a couple of times...I see a blue background with yellow text...does the normally yellow text show up as black on a white background? I don't pick a text color, yellow is just what shows up.

Aahh... never mind, I think that I've figured it out. Keep us updated Ryan.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Make sure to use a solid door to the sump pump closet.

On my multi-purpose media room, I created a closet very similar to yours to hide my sump pump. I insulated it, dry-walled the inside and used a standard interior door thinking that would be sufficient soundproofing.

Wrong.

Whenever the pump turns on I hear it. Whenever it rains enough that water runs into the well, I hear it. I am thinking a nice solid door with some weather stripping will solve the issue.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have just finished the main drywalling and wiring that needed to be done.

The cable splitter, booster, and phone/cable modem have been mounted. I am going to put an oak door over this to match the load center.

The two basement poles are now enclosed.

Water main area. The cabinets for the area to the left of this closet have been ordered and should be ready to be picked up in a couple weeks. We ordered upper and lower cabinates to mount here and picked up a counter top already.

The built in equipment cabinet and shelving areas are done. I just need to finish the inserts, trim, and purchase the doors.

I ran a dedicated 20amp circuit to the equipment cabinet with a GFCI outlet on the outside of the unit were the tv will be.

I only have one more area to patch with drywall (ceiling above the load center) and then it will be time to start the primer and paint. I finally came to an agreement on colors with my wife. The carpet is a brown freezie (sp?) style carpet and the walls are going to be some sort of beige color (Dutch Boy - Prairie Dust) while the ceiling will be white. This build is taking a lot longer than I thought it would with work, school, wife, and daughter but it is finally starting to take shape.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
looking good. You have a nice space to work with there

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipenpatel83 /forum/post/0

Fuzzatch

Looks good ....i have the same problem with the pole...if you dont mind me asking how much did he charge you to take out that pole and move it somewhere else

Actually, I did the work myself. I contacted a structural engineer for some options on what I can do with the poles and I was told I can move them to create a 15' span or I can remove them and add steel plates to the sides of the steel beam to reinforce it. I then got some quotes on having a contractor do the work and decided to just move them myself. My wifes dad had the extra poles, but you can get them at Home Depot and I don't think they are very expensive.

The engineer's time cost me $300. The estimate from a contractor was $2500, this included removing two poles, welding the steel plates on the beam, and repairing the drywall.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by calv1n /forum/post/0

looking good. You have a nice space to work with there

Thank you. It is finally starting to look like I am getting somewhere.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have finally finished painting the room and installing some cabinets and doors so it is time for an update. I had just finished up with some sweeping so there is a bit of dust showing up in the pictures.

This is the new toy box for my daughters stuff next to the water main closet.

View to the future pool table/fooseball table area.

Utility room entrance and stairs.

Home Theater areas. I still need to the install bi-fold door on the side of the sump pump closet. I will be building the shelving in early April. I am getting help from a friend that does woodworking so I get to use his work room and tools.

It is definitely nice to be done with the major work. The carpet is scheduled to be installed on March 22nd, and then it is time for the trim. It looks as if I am actually going to make my late April deadline.

The few little items that I still need to take care of is pulling some speakers wire and adding a few extra outlets near the water main closet.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Ya, looking great. These pics always make me wish they had basements in Oregon. Hard to come by.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the comments. This was the first time that I had done most of this work on my own. The last time that I finished a basement, there was a whole crew of people helping me out and we finished most of the work in a weekend. This project has taken me a few months for the little work that I had to do. I am definetly glad that it is almost completed.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally have some more updates. I am not quite finished, I just have a little bit of finish work to do like hang some cabinet doors and finish the buit in equipment and media racks, but other than that it has shaped up nicely.

Here is the view along the long wall towards the home theater area.

Brick wall at the bottom of the stairway with an old RCA Victorola.

Here is the view of the HT area. I don't have any of the audio installed. I am waiting to finish the shelving first.

Back side of the theater with the bar area.

A view of the fooseball area. I still need to hang the doors to cover the holes in the wall.

And the dart area. The board is a about 3 inches short of regulation because of the short ceilings.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.