AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone compared a sealed Rythmik to a MartinLogan Depth I (which also sealed servo controlled sub)?

The ML Depth I was recently discontinued and can be purchased for a similar price as the Rythmiks. My requirements are for a small room (1,500 cubic feet) so I don't need a 15HV nor do I want a ported sub. Thanks!

At list price the Depth I was certain not a good comparison, but now I can get a new one for about the same price as the Rythmiks.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I dont think anyone will have comparisons for you, i dont think anyone would spend over 2 grand on a 8 inch sub when they could get 2 15 inch rythmiks for that price

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The Martin Logan isn't a slouch and when they're on clearance, can be good deals, but in this case, I think the dual Rythmik subs will easily have it beat in extension and output.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts

I think I would go with the Rythmik without a doubt.

·
Premium Member
13,126 Posts

Quote:
My requirements are for a small room (1,500 cubic feet) so I don't need a 15HV nor do I want a ported sub. Thanks!
FWIW, when I was looking at Rythmik for an upgrade to my SVS PB12-NSD in my ~3,400 cu.ft. room, Enrico recommended dual F12s or a single F15.

In your 1,500 cu.ft. room, a single F12 or F15 should work fine. If I were you, though, I'd go with dual F12s or a single E15HP or F15HP.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For clarity, I was inquiring about single F12 or E15 sealed Rythmik sub vs a ML Depth i. The Depth can be purchased new for about $1,250 from an authorized dealer due to the clearance pricing so cost is comparable.

I actually connected with someone who owned a Depth i then acquired a Rythmik F12. He stated the Rythmik was cleaner but the Depth had a bit more output (Depth's three 8 inch woofers have more surface area than an single 12" but less than a 15"). I also discovered that the Depth applies servo control to only one of the three drivers which explains the feedback regarding the Rythmik sound vs the Depth.

I purchased an E15 which I felt was best for my needs. I set it up last weekend. Since then, I have watched one movie and listened to music for a couple hours. The Rythmik is fantastic so far... a big improvement over my other subs. Also, Brian at Rythmik was a great help and able to accommodate a rush shipment.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck  /t/1503203/rythmik-f12-or-f15-vs-martinlogan-depth-i#post_24090473

FWIW, when I was looking at Rythmik for an upgrade to my SVS PB12-NSD in my ~3,400 cu.ft. room, Enrico recommended dual F12s or a single F15.

In your 1,500 cu.ft. room, a single F12 or F15 should work fine. If I were you, though, I'd go with dual F12s or a single E15HP or F15HP.

Thanks! I went with the Piano Black E15HP (left the HP off in my post above). Funny, I also had the same SVS subwoofer...

·
Registered
7,975 Posts

LOL that's funny. If I'm reading things right, the original post was two weeks ago and by the time we got going with responses the OP had already bought his subwoofer.  No matter, enjoy your new sub and congratulations.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck  /t/1503203/rythmik-f12-or-f15-vs-martinlogan-depth-i#post_24090651

Sweet.

Dunno about you, but I liked my PB12. Great sub. I just wanted more...

The PB12 was fine... enough output for me. I grabbed it from someone on craigslist for a couple hundred dollars, but I really wanted a sealed sub for music. The SVS and Rythmik sound very different. I believe many people would like the Rythmik for music. For movies, the preference might be different. It depends if you want explosions to sound more like a "crash" or a "boom" (at least that's how I would describe the difference in my short time with the Rythmik). The Rythmik adds more texture and is less boomy, but it sounds less like a commercial movie theater. However, some people may actually prefer the "movie theater boom" when watching movies... if this makes any sense at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater  /t/1503203/rythmik-f12-or-f15-vs-martinlogan-depth-i#post_24091646

LOL that's funny. If I'm reading things right, the original post was two weeks ago and by the time we got going with responses the OP had already bought his subwoofer.  No matter, enjoy your new sub and congratulations.

Yeah... I was ready to buy and was able to connect with a couple good sources so I pulled the trigger on the E15... but I appreciate everyone's feedback!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.