AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have about $1500-$2000 to spend on a new subwoofer. I have been looking at the Rythmik audio FV18 and the PSA V1812. The room is about 14x12x8' to ceiling. The area in which the subwoofer will be facing is half open (similar to picture except it goes back an additional 8 ft and will not have listeners in it).

I am looking at 90% gaming, 5% movies then and 5% music (rap/EDM bass heavy music). There is also the PSA V18 PAL version, I am not sure how that will compare to the v1812. The subwoofer will most likely end up being ported.

Is there also another subwoofer recommended in this price range?

Edit: Updated usage percentage

Attachments

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
1,000 Posts
Good question. Most come here looking for a HT usse woofer. I'm far from an expert, but my guess is most will say the V1812 for music as you don't need to hit sub 20Hz much with music and the midbass from the PSA speaker will probably trounce the Rythmik. The FV18 is more geared to low extension. However, Rythmik makes a hell of a woofer so its kind of a toss up but like I said, I think most will lean towards the PSA. In reality you cant make a bad choice.

Other choices? HSU, some might say Monoprice. I would keep it to PSA, Rythmik, and HSU.

Reactions: rhelliott2

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
If you're all about music and EDM then definitely the V1812. You could also look into the TV1812, a lot of EDM and hip hop has bass below 20hz.

If I were you, I would order the FV18 and the TV1812 and keep whatever sounds best to you.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Looks like maybe you updated your post after the responses, or I'm missing something about the music focus.
I would say you'd be 100% happy with any of the subs mentioned here for your use primarily with gaming and a bit of HT and music.
I would recommend the FV18 over the others because I know it and it's amazing.
I don't think there's a reason to get the V1812 over the TV1812 unless you need a bit of a smaller footprint.
I don't think you need the IPAL upgrade at all, so save your money.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Don't worry about the Ipal. It isn't much different from the standard V1812 or TV1812.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Seems like either the FV18 or TV1812 would be good choices. If the footprint of those is too large, I would consider the FV15HP over the V1812 so that you do not lose extension. With 90% games, there will be some content that makes you appreciate a low-tuned sub.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
I would also consider the Monoprice Monolith 15 inch 1000 watt ported THX subwoofer. Currently on sale for $140 off with free shipping.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Of the two in the thread title, it's the FV18 all the way.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sub choice honestly doesn't matter too much if that's your use case. I'm a pretty heavy gamer and it's very disappointing how little my PB16's are used. The mixes are very obviously biased towards headphones. You get a few gems like Modern Warfare(2019) but those are few and far between.

I purchased my setup with the intent to primarily game such as yourself, but once you get a great system (and sub) you'll quickly realize how much you've been missing in movies and music and your usage percentages may change quite a bit... :). With that in mind I'd say get the sub with the best extension, you'll definitely notice that for movies and for the genres of music you like.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Sub choice honestly doesn't matter too much if that's your use case. I'm a pretty heavy gamer and it's very disappointing how little my PB16's are used. The mixes are very obviously biased towards headphones. You get a few gems like Modern Warfare(2019) but those are few and far between.
Someone start a thread for BEQ for games.

·
Registered
507 Posts
If you go the PSA route , you should definitely lean towards the TV1812.. I had the older V18 series and if they had the TV series back then , I probably would not have gotten the sealed subs I have now..The V18's pounded , but just seemed thin sounding. With the extension I get from the sealed subs , it just seems to fill the whole room with bass and envelop you. I game a lot as well and like having the extra oomph down low when called upon....As far as between the FV18 and TV18 , both great subs from great companies , kind of hard to go wrong...Depending on where you live you might be able to pick up and save a few bucks?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
8 days since the OP posted this question. Not one response in 8 days to tons of input. Me thinks he no longer or maybe never cared? :rolleyes: Im thinking a Dayton 10" ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
8 days since the OP posted this question. Not one response in 8 days to tons of input. Me thinks he no longer or maybe never cared? :rolleyes: Im thinking a Dayton 10" ;)
I'm still here. I ordered a FV18, but it sounds quiet? The bass isn't boomy. I have a x4700H with Kef R3 speakers and r2c center. Even if I turn gain to max on audyssey and volume all the way up on the subwoofer it's still quiet.

Edit: Did a subwoofer excursion test video on YouTube and holy ****, it shook the entire house. For music I can't seem to get the settings right, the bass just seems very weak. Even in three port mode

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I
I'm still here. I ordered a FV18, but it sounds quiet? The bass isn't boomy. I have a x4700H with Kef R3 speakers and r2c center. Even if I turn gain to max on audyssey and volume all the way up on the subwoofer it's still quiet.

You live! Have you tried moving the sub in the room, feet, not inches to see if it makes a difference? That sub should be anything but quiet. L/R set to "small" in the AVR? Where in the room do you have it? Corner? Out in the middle of the room? Something is definitely wrong. Start with your AVR settings. Do you see cone movement?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I

You live! Have you tried moving the sub in the room, feet, not inches to see if it makes a difference? That sub should be anything but quiet.

It shakes the entire house with a subwoofer excursion test on YT

L/R set to "small" in the AVR?
Yup, it's set to small

Where in the room do you have it? Corner?

Right in the corner for the most boom.

Do you see cone movement?
Yes I do, but it's very weak with music. This video makes it move insane
https://youtu.be/kFcNbf3OWLk
Other settings I have is volume set to 100%. Subwoofer at +6.5db in the AVR, rumble filter on, 14hz and mid damping in 3 port mode. LFE in and cross over on front speakers set to 80hz. Limiter off. Any advice, it's very weak in EDM/rap music

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Other settings I have is volume set to 100%. Subwoofer at +6.5db in the AVR, rumble filter on, 14hz and mid damping in 3 port mode. LFE in and cross over on front speakers set to 80hz. Limiter off. Any advice, it's very weak in EDM/rap music
I would email Rythmik customer support. The FV18 is a amazing subwoofer and very highly regarded here.

After speaking with Rythmik customer service, if you can't get the SPL you need... Then probably get a FV25HP? Or Look at Power sound Audio and JTR. Most companies have trial periods. I have bought a few subs and I kept whatever sounds best to me.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Something is wrong. You should never need 100% volume on the subs. Mine have always been between 35-60% with the subs usually in the negatives in the AVR (that's your goal after Audyssey).

Bad cable? Bad connection?

Do you have different settings for 2-channel audio that are overriding? Denon AVRs have this.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts