AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all.

I posted here about a year ago while doing research on DIY powered subs. My budget is about $500 and based on that, the advice I solicited here led me towards Rythmik.

I've just recently heard about Dayton. For the $500 range, what are the qualitative differences between the two? I'm probably looking for something in a 12" driver.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
You want a rythmik kit? The sound quality on those are great. Output is not killer, but should be fine for a small to mid size room. The Dayton, depending on model, won't be as clean by a little or a lot. Just depends on what you are wanting.

·
Registered
588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopianemo /forum/post/16958746

Hello, all.

I posted here about a year ago while doing research on DIY powered subs. My budget is about $500 and based on that, the advice I solicited here led me towards Rythmik.

I've just recently heard about Dayton. For the $500 range, what are the qualitative differences between the two? I'm probably looking for something in a 12" driver.

Does it have to be one of the two? I have nothing against Ryhmik, actually I was planning on building one of those originally.

There are many options at $500 though. Shiva-x (which is currently on sale) and a Oaudio bash 500w amp would work too.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have a Rythmik DS12 and a Velo HGS-15 at the moment. For what its worth, they have confounded expectations. I thought they would be quite similar, but the Velo seems to have more headroom, and the Rythmik has better sound quality.

Considering the small difference in the price of the kits, I think the answer would be to go with a Rythmik 15" kit (which is what I wish I had done).

Nick

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback; I guess I just have to ask the right questions. No, I wasn't stuck on the Rythmik or Dayton, I had just put Rythmik on my short list at the time and was going to go with them until I heard about Dayton.

So the Shiva-X is pretty good, huh? I'm thinking I don't want to go over 12" because 1)my viewing room doesn't need it and B)most opinions I respect say 15" subs just aren't responsive enough for what I want.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopianemo /forum/post/16973116

Thanks for the feedback; I guess I just have to ask the right questions. No, I wasn't stuck on the Rythmik or Dayton, I had just put Rythmik on my short list at the time and was going to go with them until I heard about Dayton.

So the Shiva-X is pretty good, huh? I'm thinking I don't want to go over 12" because 1)my viewing room doesn't need it and B)most opinions I respect say 15" subs just aren't responsive enough for what I want.

Most opinions saying a 15" driver isnt responsvie enough are not educated enough to respect

Do not confused driver size with response because there is much, much more too it (like motor, etc). You just need to listen to any large pro audio driver to understand what Im talking about. Im not saying buy a pro audio driver here, Im just saying responsiveness isnt defined by the driver diameter!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
In that price range I would also recommend the Rythmik 12 or 15" kits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.