AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a really good setup with MTM main and center speakers with 2 x 7" in each - proffessional monitor quality and I need 2 subs to use with them for music and HT. Electronics are Yamaha RX-V1900 and Emotiva XPA-3.

I listen a lot to music, around 75 - 85% so clarity, punch, neutrality and such is on top of the priority list. My room isn´t very large, around 12 x 16 x 9 but opens into another room at almost the same size.

I have been looking at several options, but are there any better when SQ is important? Depth and excursion for HT is also necessary, but music is priority 1.

Short list so far:

2 x Rythmik F12SE

2 x SVS SB12+

2 x A7S - 450 eD (A bit big?)

Or? Tips and recommendations are highly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
"2 x A7S - 450 eD (A bit big?)"

That would rock your socks off... I can't imagine! Epik dynasty is good too. 18" will still provide very nice sound quality, don't worry about the driver being too big!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
the 1300 watt amps on the A7s-450's have been known to trip breakers. you'd be safer going with the pair of Epik Dragons.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, price is also important, the Epik Dragon is a great deal pricier. I can get a really good deal on the eD and also the Rythmik F12 SE.

I am a bit concerned with the 18" driver, and also the 1.3KW of power, but I can get a really good price on it.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile82 /forum/post/17039576

Hmm, price is also important, the Epik Dragon is a great deal pricier. I can get a really good deal on the eD and also the Rythmik F12 SE.

I am a bit concerned with the 18" driver, and also the 1.3KW of power, but I can get a really good price on it.

The Dragon uses a 600w amp. The Ed 18" uses a 1300w amp. I have the Dragon and it rocks!

·
Registered
8,480 Posts
The servo in the Rythmik actually makes an audible difference. While other sealed subs sound good, I would put the Rythmik at the top of the list.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The Rythmik F15 has a 10% discount when ordering two or more from the Rythmik website. Shipping might put you slightly over your budget, but you would achieve a few more dBs over the F12SE.

I agree that the Rythmik is a great choice given your listening habits. ...Although I would love to hear a direct comparison between Epik's Dragon and Rythmik.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkfat /forum/post/17040149

The Rythmik F15 has a 10% discount when ordering two or more from the Rythmik website. Shipping might put you slightly over your budget, but you would achieve a few more dBs over the F12SE.

I agree that the Rythmik is a great choice given your listening habits. ...Although I would love to hear a direct comparison between Epik's Dragon and Rythmik.

Well, I am situated in Europe and Epik can sell me a sub, but not with warranty as they do not have dealers over here so Epik is out of the equation.

2 x F12SE looks promising, but are they "reference"-level subs when considering SQ? My monitors are of the type used in studios to mix CDs so we are talking serious quality - I`m afraid the subs will "lag" behind.

Can Rythmik hit hard and deep when needed on action movies as well?

Are they considerably better than the SVS SB12+?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Rythmik subs were engineered 100% toward the sound-quality side of the spectrum. I'm under the impression that they are the best possible choice for your studio-quality monitors... however, I am admittedly not an expert.

There aren't many professional reviews of Rythmik subs, but here is one that I know of:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...hmik_f12se.htm

Also, you can read more about them on the Ascend Acoustics website. Here is a link announcing the partnership between the two companies (and the reasons for said partnership):

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=3711

A single D15SE is more than enough for my maximum sustained listening levels in a 2850 sq ft sealed room (I've gone through most of the 5-star rated Movies With Bass). I mentioned the F15 because it would offer additional headroom over the F12SE.

One thing to be aware of are the highest recommended crossover points for Rythmik subs. 15", 12", and 12" GR Research drivers are 80hz, 100hz, and 120hz respectively (if I'm not mistaken).

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see. I like the fact that the 12" is smaller and has the same amount of power. It is looking to be 2 x 12" SE for the time being. The eD 18" looks a bit too big, and I`m not sure if I need the output level.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What I do need, and want is some feedback from people who own a Rythmik F12 and even better if you`ve compared it against others.

I am not sure how good a Rythmik is compared to SB12+ and such.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile82 /forum/post/17041138

What I do need, and want is some feedback from people who own a Rythmik F12 and even better if you`ve compared it against others.

I listened to a Rythmik at a subwoofer GTG back in February and was VERY impressed. The GTG was more DIY oriented than consumer but there was a DIY version of an eD A7s there that didn't come close to the SQ of the Rythmik. The only things that compared in SQ to the Rythmik were an LMS 5400 and RE XXX 18" each of which go for around $1k for the drivers alone.

·
Registered
784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile82 /forum/post/17039930

I need 2 subs for better bass in all of the room. Budget is max 16-1700$
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls15dualdrive.html

This would fit the bill nicely if you could stretch your budget. I have the Quad Drive and am extremely pleased with their music performance. Plus, the real wood veneer finish is beautiful.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 /forum/post/17041193

I listened to a Rythmik at a subwoofer GTG back in February and was VERY impressed. The GTG was more DIY oriented than consumer but there was a DIY version of an eD A7s there that didn't come close to the SQ of the Rythmik. The only things that compared in SQ to the Rythmik were an LMS 5400 and RE XXX 18" each of which go for around $1k for the drivers alone.

I hope you had a good time there.... sounds like quite the GTG

I will second the Rythmik, a pair of them would be a great addition for your room... Maybe a touch over budget.... Just remember RULES are meant to be broken

The audition of all the subs at the GTG were crippled by the room..... We took measurements of all the subs after, and there were plenty of bad spots if you were sitting there which would easily reflect on the SQ and performance of each sub... The TC-2000, 18" Mal -X and TC-3000 (sealed) were all in poor room placement locations. The F112 was also there and is my basis for SQ, which also could have been crippled with placement, depending on where you were in the room......

If the OP is handy, and has a strict budget, you could easily have a pair of killer subs if you went the DIY route... yes its more work, but its def a way to achieve max results bringing you easily under budget...

·
Registered
184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile82 /forum/post/17041138

The only post I've found that has directly (albeit very concisely) compared the two is here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post14875331

Here is a chart of clean output comparisons for many subwoofers. It is a bit outdated, but includes the SB12 and a DIY 12" Rythmik. Rythmik has much more output from 40hz on down. SB12-plus has slightly more output from 50-80hz.
Ilkka's Maximum Clean Output Comparison

You're not the first to decide between the SB12-plus and F12. I think the F12 is unanimously considered to be the better subwoofer (after all it is more expensive, larger, and heavier).

My 15-inch Rythmik is comparable to two F12s (two 12 inchers will have better room dispersion and slightly better transient response). It excels at being accurate which is of paramount importance to your main use (quote: "I listen a lot to music, around 75 - 85% so clarity, punch, neutrality and such is on top of the priority list.") and it is fully capable of hitting hard and deep in movies... it is a sub after all. It won't have as much output as a large ported sub, but that doesn't seem to be an option (nor a requirement) for you.

·
Registered
750 Posts
on the lower priced scale I hear the JBL L8400 sealed sub can be had for reasonable price and it's performance is quite good,

stepping up in price you might want to consider the ACI Titan from Audio Concepts, a build more towards sound quality than quantity.

Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts